Come join our team! If you are looking for a career that is both challenging and rewarding, with an organization that embraces the core values of integrity and excellence, look no further.
The Law Society of BC offers work/life balance, a collegial atmosphere, and an excellent benefits package, including: extended health benefits, a dental plan, and more.
Our Professional Conduct group is seeking a full-time Assistant on a 6 month term. This position provides administrative support to three or more staff lawyers and paralegals in the Professional Conduct group in the investigation of complaints about lawyers. This position is responsible for the day to day word processing of correspondence, memoranda, opinions and summaries, many of which are frequently deadline oriented. This position also handles some telephone calls with members of the public, lawyers and other professionals outside the organization.
The duties of this position include:
- Providing support to staff lawyers and paralegals by proof-reading, formatting and finalizing correspondence, organizing enclosures, photocopying and saving documents (including electronic documents) to our record management system LEO and LSIS.
- Ensuring complaint materials in files are properly organized including maintaining the integrity of original documents.
- Independently generating reminder letters and following up on matters for staff lawyers and paralegals which may include telephone communication with the public or lawyers.
- Formatting opinions for the Discipline Committee’s monthly meetings including copying, numbering and listing attachments to opinions and circulating draft opinions for review.
- Maintaining complaint records in LSIS, diarizing files for next steps, processing incoming mail and emails, and scheduling meetings and interviews.
- Assisting other Professional Conduct Assistants as required.
- May assist with photocopying jobs including for the Complainants’ Review Committee Agendas.
- May assist in administering the Law Society’s Fee Mediation Program under the direction of the Intake Officer.
- May assist in complaint file opening process, processing emails received by the department and inputting survey responses into LSIS.
- Such other duties as the Managers in Professional Conduct may require.
- Graduate of legal secretarial training course or equivalent skills acquired through work experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in a legal setting performing secretarial and administrative functions, some experience in dealing with the public and/or with demanding sometimes difficult people.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a team player, with above average spelling, grammar, punctuation and computer skills.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Assistant, Professional Conduct”. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is located at the Law Society of British Columbia office in the Yaletown area of Vancouver, BC.
845 Cambie Street
Vancouver, British Columbia