About Computershare Limited (CPU)
Computershare (ASX: CPU) is a global market leader in transfer agency and share registration, employee equity plans, mortgage servicing, proxy solicitation and stakeholder communications. We also specialize in corporate trust, bankruptcy, class action and utility administration, and a range of other diversified financial and governance services.
Founded in 1978, Computershare is renowned for its expertise in high integrity data management, high volume transaction processing and reconciliations, payments and stakeholder engagement. Many of the world’s leading organizations use us to streamline and maximize the value of relationships with their investors, employees, creditors and customers.
Computershare is represented in all major financial markets and has over 12,000 employees worldwide.
For more information about Computershare, please visit www.computershare.com.
DIVERSITY IS A STRENGTH
Across our global team, we see diversity as a source of strength. The more perspectives we have, the better equipped we’ll be to meet the demands of our diverse global customer base. We want every person who joins out team, every customer and every supplier to feel welcome. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and believe in equality for everyone, regardless of age, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected be applicable law. That applies throughout our company, around the world with no exceptions, regardless of differences. We will hire, develop, reward, promote and retain people purely on the basis of their talents, commitment, potential and the results they achieve. We will work hard to make sure everyone is included within our organization, removing barriers and obstacles to give everyone an equal opportunity to succeed.
Our key values – Certainty, Ingenuity and Advantage – drive everything we do: you can count on us to deliver with precision and reliability, every time. We look beyond today’s problems to find tomorrow’s solutions, focusing on finding new and better way to unlock your competitive edge and help you achieve your business goals.
A ROLE YOU WILL LOVE
The ongoing development and maintenance of a high performing legal team in Canada responsible for the delivery of effective and efficient professional advice to Computershare business units operating in the region.The General Counsel Canada acts as a trusted adviser to senior management to support them on the execution of their business unit’s strategic objectives and obtains and oversees the work of external counsel. The General Counsel Canada is directly involved in complex business transactions and critical contracts in the region.
The role will manage the budget for the legal team for Canada, including expense of external counsel
Number of Direct Reports - 4
Roles & Responsibilities
- Group Counsel
- Group legal department leadership team
- Members of group legal department
- Business Unit heads and management
- Directors of Computershare Trust Company Canada
- External legal providers
- Industry Associations
- Develop and maintain a high performing legal function
- Develop and implement legal strategy that supports the delivery of corporate and business unit strategies
- Accountability for contractual negotiations within group policy guidelines
- Manage legal disputes towards effective and pragmatic outcomes
- Accountability for legal advice and support to all business units and other share service functions
- Engage and manage external counsel as and if required in a cost effective manner
- When applicable, manage the legal aspects associated with corporate transactions within the region, including transaction documents, due diligence and transitional arrangements
- Identifying relevant regulatory changes in the region and assessing and advising on its impact on the business
- Championing and promoting integrity and ethical decision-making in the region
- Managing the legal team’s financial budget within agreed parameters
- Acting as corporate secretary to the Board of Computershare Trust Company Canada as well as overseeing all secretarial requirements for legal entities in the region
- Set and align team members goals in support of legal strategy and business unit and organisational goals
- Coach, mentor and supervise team members to ensure they have the skills and knowledge to perform in their role whilst recognizing their potential
- Ensure team members are compliant with company policies and procedures
- Actively listen to and consult with others and give them the opportunity to voice their opinions
- Participate in regular performance and evaluation reviews
- 10+ post qualification experience as a lawyer (either in-house or private practice)
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Outstanding commercial judgement and ability to navigate ambiguity
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Demonstrable experience in balancing risk against business outcomes
- Previous experience in directly managing people
Desired Experience (not essential)
- Company secretarial experience
- A qualification in law from a recognised tertiary institution
- A current Canadia practising certificate
Desired Qualifications (not essential)
At Computershare we invite you to share our vision and our commitment to excellence in everything that we do. Our people are entrepreneurial and innovative and serve our clients with precision and reliability because they count on us to deliver, every time.
Computershare sees diversity as a source of strength. The more different perspectives we have, the better equipped we’ll be to meet the demands of our diverse global customer base. We want every person who joins our team, every customer and every supplier to feel welcome. We believe in equality for everyone, regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity, race, religion, disability or sexual orientation. That applies throughout our company, around the world with no exceptions, regardless of differences. We will hire, develop, reward, promote and retain people purely on the basis of their talents, commitment, potential and the results they achieve. We will work hard to make sure everyone is included within our organisation, removing barriers and obstacles to give everyone an equal opportunity to succeed.
If you want to be part of our leading brand, please apply for this position by clicking on the "Apply" button and following the application process.