Link to Application:
Or send your resume to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with Assistant General Manager in the subject line.
The Assistant General Manager (Legal and Corporate Services) has overall responsibility for corporate legal and human resources services, and provides oversight to expert teams in finance, accounting and administration, information technology/GIS/automation, land management, and community internet services. The position is also an advisor and resource to the General Manager and Board of Directors.
Direct reports are experienced independent experts, who have access to external support in specific technical areas (e.g., accounting, IT). Although they will appreciate guidance and support, legal expertise will be of highest priority for the AGM candidate.
At a minimum, we require:
- 7 years of experience practicing law.
- Juris Doctor (JD) or Bachelor Of Laws (LL.B.) degree.
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Alberta.
- Valid Alberta Class 5 vehicle operator’s licence.
- Ability to draft clear, concise legal documents including bylaws, policies, contracts and other agreements and documents.
- Ability to read and understand financial statements and reports.
The following are not required, but would be helpful:
- Post secondary training in human resources and/or employment law.
- Interest in and understanding of administrative law, combined with a working knowledge of relevant areas of the law pertaining to the business, such as: Irrigation Districts Act, Employment Standards Code, Local Authorities Election Act, Surface Rights Act, Water Act, land law, employment law, and general corporate-commercial law.
- Agricultural/farming background.
Full time, standard (8 hours per day, five days per week).
Competitive salary and comprehensive group benefits plan.
Additional benefits, including:
- Local Authorities Pension Plan
- 3 weeks of vacation, increasing with years of service
- Flex time for overtime worked
- 12 paid sick days per year
- Professional development program
- Professional membership fees covered
- Company merit plan (salary increase or bonus, based on performance)
Planning and Budgeting
- Work with the General Manager to prepare strategic plans, and other documents.
- Establish departmental annual and longer-range goals and plans.
- Recommend departmental budgets and assist with the preparation of corporate budgets.
- Implement work plans to achieve approved goals and objectives.
- Attend and participate as an advisor at Board meetings.
Policies and Procedures
- Maintain up-to-date procedure manuals for all assigned responsibilities.
- Ensure complete and accurate records are created, maintained and safeguarded so as to be readily accessible.
- Draft policies, bylaws, leases, licenses, contracts and other agreements and documents covering a broad range of topics.
- Develop internal controls and other authorizations to empower employees, and to appropriately control departmental activities.
- Evaluate, develop and recommend human resources policies, programs and procedures consistent with corporate values and in support of attracting and retaining an efficient and productive workforce.
- Conduct periodic reviews of departmental activities to ensure compliance with legislation, bylaws, policies, and approved plans.
- Provide in-house legal counsel and manage external legal services, including oral and written advice and opinions on diverse legal matters.
- Play a leadership role in planning for elections and plebiscites; advise the General Manager, as returning officer, and Executive Assistant regarding various aspects of the election and plebiscite legislation and processes.
- Lead contract management including mortgages where the organization is mortgagee.
- Act as a corporate signing officer.
- Monitor legislative changes, advise the General Manager and recommend changes, as appropriate.
- Provide legislative, bylaw, policy and procedural advice to the General Manager and coworkers.
- Relate to, and communicate with co-workers, supervisors, management, Board, customers, vendors, the business community and the general public, sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously.
- Respond to inquiries and issues promptly and professionally.
- Establish and maintain strong and positive working relationships.
Human Resources Management
With assistance from external HR experts, as needed:
- Assist and advise the General Manager with respect to human resources matters.
- Provide guidance, training, advice and support to managers and supervisors regarding human resources programs and procedures including the consistent interpretation and application of employment legislation, and the resolution of performance issues, including progressive discipline processes.
- Implement practices that align with approved human resources policies and programs.
- Maintain all position descriptions and recommend updates and changes, as appropriate.
- Maintain corporate compensation system and salary ranges.
- Monitor employment, industry and human resources developments and trends; recommend changes to human resources policies and programs, as appropriate.
Within the Corporate Services team:
- Participate in the recruitment and selection process.
- Conduct new employee onboarding and orientation.
- Train, coach, manage performance, and facilitate employees’ career development.
- Participate in the progressive disciplinary process up to and including terminations.
- Read and understand financial statements and reports.
Although the Accounting Supervisor is directly responsible for the following, when unavailable the AGM may be required to:
- Review and approve accounts payable invoices in relation to coding and established purchasing procedures.
- Review and approve payroll batches and related remittances.
- Review, approve and present monthly financial statements, quarterly and other financial and departmental reports to the General Manager, the Board, and other external audiences.
Our client is a leader among Alberta's irrigation districts and an integral component of the economic, environmental and social fabric of southeastern Alberta. Their core business is the delivery of water to 305,000 acres of irrigated farmland plus all of the lakes, reservoirs, wetlands, industries, municipalities and many rural acreages throughout the region. Their 4,000 KMs of delivery and drainage systems are rehabilitated and maintained using their team and fleet of heavy equipment, augmented with contractors. Building on a proud 84-year history, the organization maintains its focus on agriculture, sustainability and social responsibility.
Similar Job Titles:
Legal Services Manager
Legislative Services Manager
Corporate Services Manager
Administrative Services Manager
Support Services Director
Support Services Manager
Who We Are
Based in Calgary, Alberta, The Hayward Group has been providing talent management consulting services since 2006, across Canada and the United States. Our primary focus is on helping organizations make more effective talent management decisions, through the objective evaluation of employee capabilities and a range of supporting recruitment and development services. We are proud to work with a number of leading associates and partner organizations to provide you with a wider range of expert insights.