Tell us your story. Don't go unnoticed. Explain why you're a winning candidate. Think "TD" if you crave meaningful work and embrace change like we do. We are a trusted North American leader that cares about people and inspires them to grow and move forward.
Stay current and competitive. Carve out a career for yourself. Grow with us.
The Legal Department at TD:
- Provides practical solutions to complex problems
- Manages risk by identifying emerging and evolving risks and advises on avoidance and mitigation strategies;
- Helps the business grow by advising on the development of new products, services and initiatives, as well as acquisitions and divestitures.
- Provides a pan-enterprise and strategic perspective gained from the exchange of information within the Legal team both across the border and across areas of legal expertise
- Supports in crisis management
- Offers expertise and established relationships that enable the Bank to build relationships, anticipate issues and advocate regarding regulatory and legislative matters.
The Counsel, M&A will be a member of the Legal leadership team responsible for overseeing a team of lawyers and legal professionals. The general accountabilities of this role include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide oversight, legal advice and support to TDBG senior management in M&A
- Identify key legal risks and appropriate ways to mitigate them, ensuring awareness among relevant stakeholders and other members of the TD Legal Department
- Oversight of outside counsel performing work in areas of responsibility
- Manage external legal costs prudently through optimal use of internal and external resources
- Proactive identification, management and escalation of legal risk for the Bank's M&A programs in Canada, the United States and globally
- Proactive legal guidance in all matters related to public company requirements, corporate governance and disclosure
- Provide strategic and tactical direction and advice to TDBG executives as well as within the legal department
- Anticipate emerging issues and translate business and organizational challenges into sustainable deployment strategies
- Negotiate and influence, internally and externally, with latitude on outcomes; advises at the most senior levels on the direction of the business or function
§ Law degree from an accredited law school and qualified to practice law in Ontario
§ 4+ years as a corporate lawyer with a major law firm
§ Highly effective communicator who engages colleagues, business partners, external stakeholders, and employees
§ Skillful communication (written and verbal), negotiation and partnership skills to balance stakeholder input but remain objective to reach the right outcome - ability to stay resilient under pressure
§ Demonstrated relationship building skills, with a superior ability to make things happen through the use of positive influence
§ Robust organizational skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and priorities
§ Excellent analytical skills in assessing risk, issues and challenging the status quo
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Category - Primary
Legal Services / Counsel
Legal Services / Counsel
TD Centre - TD Tower - 66 Wellington Street West
Advertised on the clear legal job board