Reporting to the Director, Legal Services, this position works with a team of lawyers, who primarily do solicitor/corporate work, and other legal administrative staff
The position requires the candidate to:
The primary responsibilities are:
- Have the ability to handle simultaneous jobs quickly, accurately and efficiently;
- Have high attention to detail;
- Exercise discretion and sound judgment in communication with the FortisBC group of companies’ business owners;
- Abide by the guidelines set by the department for document preparation and dissemination;
- Maintain all matters in a strictly confidential manner;
- Show initiative and strives for constant improvement;
- Be a quick learner who can work independently with minimal instruction and supervision; and
- Have a positive attitude and ability to resolve conflicts in a professional manner.
- Performing administrative duties such as:
o entering lawyer’s time;
o booking and organizing meetings;
o opening files and filing;
o maintaining filing and bring forward system; and
o making business travel and related arrangements.
- Coding and ensuring timely payment of department invoices and expenses;
- Accruing for work in progress and unpaid invoices;
- Maintaining the legal library collection and updates;
- Preparing and formatting documents such as contracts, procurement packages and correspondence;
- Performing company and land searches and limited legal research; and
- Responding to general business owner needs in the FortisBC group of companies.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of an Administrative Assistant Certificate from a recognized post-secondary institution with 2-5 years’ experience as an administrative assistant or secretary in a law firm or company, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge of company organization, structure, business processes, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Strong software application skills including MS Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with a proven record as a team player
- Well organized and willing to take initiative
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment, tact and discretion in preparing, disclosing and handling information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature
- Demonstrated ability to interact with all levels of internal and external contacts in a professional, clear and courteous manner in order to represent the interests of others
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and complete assignments in a manner that optimizes departmental effectiveness
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and be flexible in order to meet operational demands
- Demonstrated ability to work within demanding work schedules including tight timeframes
- Posting jobs on the clear legal job board in Canada