B-008-COR-Nov19-C Department: Business & Corporate Services
2019-12-13 Calgary (Alberta)
Bantrel Co. is seeking an experienced Corporate Paralegal to assist the Legal and Risk Management department with day to day legal and insurance operations. The Corporate Paralegal will be responsible for:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the Corporate Secretary function:
- Maintaining corporate records and minute books
- Prepare resolutions for routine matters such as annual resolutions, changes to directors, officers and addresses
- Undertake corporate compliance functions consistent with legislation and corporate by-laws including arranging for required government filings such as notices of change and annual returns
- Liaise with agents in other jurisdictions for extra-provincial registrations and associated maintenance
- Preparations for regular board meetings
- Assist with preparation, review and management of litigation and claims documents
- Support the Risk Management function:
- Review incoming and outgoing Certificates of Insurance against contract requirements
- Review contractual insurance provisions against Insurance Program
- Liaise with insurance brokers and carriers
- Assist with insurance annual renewals and new applications
- Assist with processing of insurance claims
- Participate in Risk Management education programming
- Conduct or coordinate necessary corporate searches and legal due diligence to support the business
- Analyze and prepare correspondence and legal documents (with lawyer supervision as required) such as letters, non-disclosure agreements, statutory declarations and summary tables using precedents, statutes, and other research materials
- Reply to internal and client inquiries
- Liaise and coordinate with external counsel as well as the Legal and Risk Management Functions of Bantrel’s shareholders, as required
- Other administrative duties as determined by the needs of the legal department.
- Paralegal or Legal Assistant Diploma plus at least 5 years of relevant experience, with at least 2 years in a corporate/in-house environment being preferred. An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered.
- Knowledge of laws/legislation relevant to the practice area, legal terminology, forms and documents related to the corporate practice area. CORES accreditation would be considered an asset.
- Thorough understanding of legal procedures and practices involved in preparing, processing, and filing a variety of legal documents
- Advanced English vocabulary, spelling and grammar; excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with computers including advanced MS Word, Excel, Internet, applicable corporate records software, and other relevant software programs
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to problem solve
- Possess a strong attention to detail and an ability to complete proof-reading and editing tasks with accuracy
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and cover letter, by way of the clear legal job board in MS Word format, to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning reference code B-008-COR-Nov19-C in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.