The City of Kitchener is seeking an experienced municipal, land use planning and real property lawyer to join its team providing legal advice and services to Council and staff. Reporting to the Director of Legal Services and City Solicitor, the primary areas of responsibility will include: advocacy before administrative tribunals such as LPAT, land use planning, development, real property, general municipal matters, expropriations, negotiating and drafting a wide variety of legal documents including agreements pertaining to subdivision, planning and commercial business matters, preparing legal opinions and reports, drafting by-laws; and other duties as assigned. You are a person of integrity and sound judgment who works effectively both in a team environment and independently, with proven ability to work under tight deadlines. You have excellent interpersonal, communication, problem solving, analytical and organizational skills combined with solid time management, computer and research abilities. The successful candidate must have a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or Juris Doctor (J.D.) and be a member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario, and have a minimum of 4 years directly related legal experience in land use planning and real property law or a related field. Preference will be given to applicants with prior experience in the municipal sector, or comparable background and knowledge.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Administers the preparation of all subdivision, site plan and any other development-related agreements pertaining to the development of land.
- Represents the City at administrative tribunals such as LPAT, Environmental Assessment Board, and Environmental Appeal Board and at court if required.
- Negotiates and composes agreements including credit for service agreements, conditional building permits, and agreements concerning building projects.
- Provides legal advice, opinions and recommendations to Council, Committees of Council, City officials and staff respecting their duties, powers and liabilities.
- Provides business advice as applicable for major commercial and corporate developments, and real estate transactions.
- Negotiates where appropriate and undertakes acquisition and deposition of real estate for the City.
- Provides business advice as applicable for various business areas.
- Reviews recommended conditions and all legal documents required as a part of the Committee of Adjustment process.
- Reviews plans and ideas for City-involved activities and provides advice to stakeholders to mitigate risks in an effort to avoid litigation.
- Reviews policies, drafts proposed bylaws and gives advice regarding implementation.
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy #II-110, "Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials":"The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, General Managers, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be: 1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full-time and part-time classifications. 2. within the same Division in the case of students."Candidates may be required to complete testing as part of the recruitment process, as it relates to the requirements of this position.We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance. Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.