Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
The successful candidate will provide administrative support in the Conflicts & New Business Intake Department; perform administrative tasks relating to new business intake, matter openings and conflict of interest searches for the Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver and New York offices. Provide back up and support to Ethics and Risk Department. This is a detail-oriented position with focus on time management skills, and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintain Firm's client management system and update related client and matter information, including the "critical date reminder" system
- Prepare conflict search documentation, exemption forms, compiling reports, update flag list, electronic filing in Department workspace
- Provide back up and support for team members as needed including conducting conflict of interest searches and opening new matters
- Follow procedures and policies governing the Firm's matter opening and conflict management activities and responsibilities
- Provide back up and support for the Ethics & Risk team members as needed including establishing ethical walls, responding to ethical wall inquiries, maintain and manage secured confidential matters and other duties as required
- Assist with special projects
- Perform additional administrative, clerical and other duties as required
- College diploma in Information Management, Information Systems & Design, Library Science, or Library and Information Technology
- 1 year of business office experience in a customer service role and/or research.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted.
- Legal industry experience is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Advanced research and problem-solving skills
- Experience in database searching and interpreting data
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; strong attention to detail; results driven
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and show initiative while working in a high-volume and deadline-driven environment
- Advanced time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task among detailed-oriented tasks and prioritize conflicting demands
- Excellent communication; speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions
- Exceptional negotiation and teamwork skills to interact/collaborate with various groups; work effectively as a team member as well as independently; able to balance team and individual responsibilities
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills responds promptly to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments
- Strong interest in technology and strong computer literacy; experience with MSOffice, accounting software and database applications; experience in technical troubleshooting; ability to learn new software and programs and keep up to date with developments
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality of information
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé via this legal job board by the closing date to: