Legal Assistant - ADM016649
SGEU Term 9 months or more
SK-Regina and Area-Regina
$19.419 - $24.334 Hourly
Civil Law, within the Ministry of Justice, requires a highly organized and responsible individual to provide confidential legal secretarial and administrative services to lawyers within the Civil Litigation Unit on a one-year term, potentially leading to a permanent position. As the Legal Assistant you will:
- Transcribe written notes to prepare a high volume of court and legal documents for civil litigation matters while meeting very tight deadlines;
- Prepare or assist with preparation of documents such as Factums, Briefs of Law, Statements of Defence, Statements of Claim, Affidavits, Orders, Affidavit of Documents, legal opinions, memos, correspondence and briefing notes;
- Other office duties including filing, diarizing, answering telephones, taking messages, directing calls and answering general inquiries.
This position requires the ability to stand for prolong lengths of time photocopying and involves some heavy lifting of boxes. The successful candidate will also provide back-up secretarial services to other lawyers and support staff.
As the successful candidate you will have:
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal terminology and court processes;
- Demonstrated you are highly organized, task oriented, productive and calm in a stressful environment in order to meet strict deadlines;
- Demonstrated you are thorough, conscientious and attentive to detail to ensure quality work while maintaining confidentiality.
- Familiarity with computer hardware and software, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat; and
- Familiarity with office and administrative procedures, protocols and various types of office equipment such as photocopier, fax, printers and computers.
Typically, the knowledge and skills required for this position would be attained through the completion of a legal secretary course and/or extensive experience in a legal office environment with a solid understanding of legal terminology, legal documents and court processes.
You will have the ability to:
The successful candidate will demonstrate the Saskatchewan Public Service core values of: respect and integrity, serving citizens, practicing excellence and innovation, and acting as One Team, including participating in and contributing to an inclusive workplace culture
- Create, format and edit documents from written notes with speed, accuracy and consistency using various software programs;
- Organize and prioritize multiple tasks taking into consideration changing priorities, tight deadlines and frequent interruptions;
- Work independently and/or participate as a contributing member of a variety of teams to complete work assignments.
What we offer:
- Dynamic, challenging work for talented individuals
- Vacation, earned days off (EDO) and other types of leave
- Inclusive work environments
- Comprehensive benefits package including pension
- Advancement opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements
We will be in contact with those persons who are selected for an interview through the clear legal job board.
We are committed to workplace diversity.