Provides confidential, secretarial and administrative support to the Assistant City Solicitor.
- Provides real estate services including land acquisitions & conveyances, and related closures
- Provides litigation and administrative tribunal assistance including preparation of document briefs, documentation - Court, LPAT, Fire Code Commission and other Administrative Tribunals
- Prepares variety of agreements such as Access, Environmental Testing, Non-Disclosure, business related etc.
- Performs title searches, reviewing reference plans, surveys, historical records to respond to title issues
- Responds to and resolves general inquiries by lawyers, consultants, government agencies and internal staff on real estate related issues.
- Administers file retention protocols and perform ongoing management of Legal Services files
- Prepares Committee of Adjustment Agreements
- Processes Industrial Restrictive Covenants
- Reviews and/or prepares Engineering and Consulting Agreements for execution if needed
- Prepares Trespass to Property Letters,
- Assists with Municipal Code/By-law amendments
- Requests for Release/Compliance of Agreements
- Construction Liens release of funds
- Performs reception and telephone duties as needed;
- Distributes divisional mail as needed
- Reviews and researches files to assist lawyers in division
- Performs applicable records management functions
- Must have 2 years of specialized post-secondary training as a Municipal Law Clerk or a related field.
- Must have 4 years related legal office experience.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of legal office structure and procedures for a municipal law environment
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of related Provincial and Municipal Legislation, including the Planning Act, Registry Act, Land Titles act, Municipal Act, Rules of Civil Procedure.
- Must have previous experience preparing legal documents and correspondence.
- Must have previous experience conducting title searches
- Must have an ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must have proven public relation and communication skills, in order to provide excellent service to both internal and external customers in a courteous and professional manner
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate both written and verbally
- Must have excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Must have strong attention to detail
- Must possess mathematical skills and be able to perform calculations accurately
- Must be highly proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the Internet
- Must have proven ability to work independently and meet deadlines under pressure
- Must have demonstrated ability to participate as an effective team member
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy #II-110, "Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials":"The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full-time and part-time classifications.2. Within the same Division in the case of students."
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance. Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants on the clear legal job board for their interest, however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.