Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is home to a wealth of expertise in property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, wealth management, services for businesses of all sizes, securities brokerage, asset management, venture capital, and secure, leading-edge virtual access methods.
As a Legal Assistant, you provide legal administrative support to in house legal counsel. You strive to maximize operational productivity. This may include working in one or more sub-specialties, such as data entry, data processing and verification of database data integrity.
You perform administrative, office and other tasks to help your unit achieve operational objectives and carry out initiatives in accordance with the detailed guidelines in place. The ability to drive results in therefore essential.
You help process and analyze information, solve problems and prepare recommendations, tailoring your approach as needed. You also help users operate tools and systems effectively.
- Provide confidential administrative support to Legal Counsel.
- Aid Legal Counsel to manage his or her time (i.e. diary, scheduling appointments, preparing and following-up on meetings or cases, and writing up of reports).
- Using computer tools, complete various tasks connected with writing, revising, updating and producing documents and/or reports.
- Receive, filter and refer telephone calls.
- Open, sort and distribute mail in our paperless environment.
- Transcribe and compile (from dictated and/or written material memos, court and FSCO arbitration and/or LAT pleadings, reports and correspondence for Legal Counsel).
- Arrange appointments pertaining to file events not limited to meetings, mediations, hearings (LAT), arbitrations and examination for discovery.
- Brief and organize file material including medical records in our paperless environment.
- Compile affidavits of documents and, assist in preparing matters for trials, hearings or arbitrations.
- Assume additional duties for department as required (i.e. workload redistribution).
Other working condition
- Number of jobavailable : 1
- Minimum post-secondary diploma in a legal assistant discipline
- Law Clerk's program certificate/diploma (an asset)
- Minimum 1 to 3 years relevant working experience is required with relevant Bodily Injury or Accident Benefits experience
Please note that other combinaisons of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
- Knowledge of Rules of Civil Procedure and Insurance Defense Litigation with an emphasis in Accident Benefits and Bodily Injury work is required
- Superior and accurate keyboarding and/or transcription skills (keyboarding 40 wpm)
- Proficient computer skills including with computer systems e.g. MS Office (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point), PDF converter program(s), other in -house systems
- Advanced knowledge of English (verbal and written)
Desjardins Cross-sector skills
Accountability, Collaborates, Customer Focus, Innovation
Key competencies for the job
Drive results, Situational adaptability
333 First Commerce Dr. Aurora