At FortisAlberta, our employees matter. We work in a customer-focused and team-oriented environment where the safety of our employees and communities is paramount, our customers’ needs are a top priority and the reliability of their electricity service is critical. By joining the FortisAlberta family, you will become part of a collaborative and communicative culture, one that is respectful of our history, while focused on the future and the opportunities it brings. At FortisAlberta, we power Alberta communities and empower our people to do their best work.
Title: 12 Month Term Legal Counsel
Posting Close Date: September 24, 2019
FortisAlberta is seeking a lawyer to join the Legal function for a twelve (12) month term, commencing in December of 2019. Reporting to the Acting Director, Legal and Corporate Secretary, this role acts as a trusted legal advisor to internal stakeholders and executives, responds to immediate business needs and supports overall corporate and operational goals.
The successful candidate will work independently and as a part of a highly collaborative team to fulfill specific responsibilities, which may include the following:
- Provide legal support and representation on complaints, disputes, and damage claims;
- Manage, instruct and supervise external counsel on a wide variety of litigation matters;
- Provide legal advice and support to internal teams across the Company on litigation risk and litigation-related processes;
- Draft, review and negotiate documentation relating to a wide variety of corporate matters;
- Assist the Human Resources group on all employee related matters;
- Manage and instruct legal support staff; and
- Other duties as required on the clear legal job board.
- Bachelor of Law (LL.B) or Juris Doctor (JD) from a recognized institution.
- Active member in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta.
- Minimum of three years relevant post-articling experience.
- Legally authorized to work in Canada on a full-time basis without restrictions.
- Demonstrated ability in using MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Flexible and able to work individually and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with tight timelines.
- Proven ability to translate legal information for non-legal audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to advise the business on contractual and legal obligations.
- Demonstrated ability to make recommendations and influence outcomes by providing practical advice based on contextual assessment.
- Proven ability to analyze complex legal issues and provide timely solutions that appreciate and advance strategic operational goals.
- High degree of professionalism in all interactions.
- Experience working in a regulated environment, preferably within the utility industry, is an asset.
To apply for this position
- Please submit your resume via the button below: "Apply"
If you receive an error message when applying, please contact the system administrator at:Recruitment@fortisalberta.com