Come join our team! If you are looking for a career that is both challenging and rewarding, with an organization that embraces the core values of integrity and excellence, look no further.
The Law Society of BC offers work/life balance (35 hour average work week), a collegial atmosphere, and an excellent benefits package, including: extended health benefits, a dental plan, a generous health care spending account, matching RRSP contributions, and more.
Our Custodianships department is seeking a full-time Staff Lawyer for an eighteen-month term. Historically, many Staff Lawyers who have started at the Law Society as term employees have successfully posted into permanent positions by the end of their term.
The Staff Lawyer, Custodianships is a challenging position which provides a great deal of variety and requires creativity and problem-solving ability.
The duties of the Staff Lawyer include:
- Preparing documents for the appointment of a custodian and appearing in British Columbia Supreme Court to obtain court order
- Acting as a custodian of lawyers’ practices on behalf of the Law Society, which includes:
- Attending at the law practice to take possession of the property of the practice
- Assessing the needs and priorities of clients of the law practice
- Attending at court and otherwise acting for clients of the practice to the extent necessary to preserve and protect the clients’ interests
- Taking responsibility for trust and general accounts, reconciling trust accounts, ensuring trust funds are properly distributed and, if appropriate, paying creditors from general funds in accordance with priorities
- Facilitating the orderly transfer of files and documents to clients and new counsel
- Retaining and instructing outside counsel acting as agent for the custodian
- Reporting any claims or potential claims to the Lawyers Insurance Fund and reporting any serious breaches of professional conduct to the Professional Conduct department
- Properly managing and/or terminating law practices subject to custodianship
- Making applications to court for directions and discharge
- Such other duties as the Manager, Custodianships & UAP may require.
- Practising membership in the Law Society of BC or eligibility for membership.
- A minimum of five years of recent practice experience and the ability to represent the Law Society in court applications.
- Superior writing, excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to meet changing deadlines and work in highly stressful situations.
- Available to occasionally travel throughout the province.
- Some litigation and law firm management experience as well as experience in wills, estates and real estate would all be considered assets.
The terms and conditions of the collective agreement between the Law Society and Professional Employees Association apply.
The position is within the Custodianship Counsel job classification and has a salary range of $110,068.76 to $135,967.29, along with an excellent benefits package that starts on the first day of employment.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Staff Lawyer, Custodianships – Term”. The closing date for this competition is August 9, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is located at the Law Society of British Columbia office in the Yaletown area of Vancouver, BC.
845 Cambie Street
Vancouver, British Columbia