Are you interested in law? If you thrive in a team environment where your attention to detail and customer service skills are key, come join us as a Legal File Clerk.
As a member of the Law Branch administrative support team you will provide general administrative support for lawyers, paralegals and legal assistants.
In this role you will:
- Manage complex and diverse files assigned by lawyers of various areas of legal practice; open, close, update and maintain files (electronic and paper)
- Print, photocopy and transcribe correspondence, documents and other important items required for official record
- Ensure documentation is on file in an organized and timely manner
- Prepare files for closing in consultation with the appropriate lawyer and legal assistant
- Create factums, binders and other forms of documents for lawyers
- Scan documents into various electronic databases and photocopy and compile documents for various legal purposes such as production of records, disclosure packages and briefs
- Create cheque requisitions including necessary follow-up
- Maintain legal library, including managing the loan process
- Enter data into Google Docs, Google Sheets, Word, Excel, FINES, BETS and iVos including transcription from hand-written copies
- Create miscellaneous forms, letters (using mail-merges), labels and envelopes, prepare inter-departmental memos and establish follow-up systems to ensure response or escalation
- Provide Law Branch reception coverage
- Additional related duties as required
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Up to 1 temporary, full-time position for up to 11 months
Hours of Work:
- Completed Grade 12 including business subjects related to word and information processing OR completed appropriate administrative certificate program
- 2 years diversified word and information processing and administrative experience, within a legal environment; preferably experience working in the areas of Civil Litigation and Administrative Law
- Knowledge and understanding of various legal documents and process and preparation of those documents
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Applications and the ability to learn in-house software applications and programs quickly; experience with FINES and BETS is an asset
- Proficient and accurate typing skills including spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Ability to work quickly and calmly in the face of deadlines with a high attention to detail and accuracy
- High level of organization with the ability to understand and manage multiple tasks with different priority levels from multiple lawyers
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, customer service, organization and time management skills, as well as the ability to work both independently and closely with a team
- Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
33.75 hours per week
$23.664 - $29.385 (Hourly)