Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
We are seeking a litigation lawyer with one to three (1-3) years of experience to join our team in Montreal. Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, Litigation who has carriage of all major litigation and claims against Air Canada and its affiliates, worldwide, the selected candidate will provide legal advice on a wide range of matters including but not limited to: general liability, aviation liability, regulatory obligations, contractual obligations and anti-trust issues. The selected candidate may be called to represent Air Canada and its affiliates before civil courts and administrative tribunals as well as assist in other more senior lawyers in the team on major litigation.
The successful candidate will have acquired experience and exposure to litigation facing large corporations including document production. Solid technical competence is a must. The selected candidate would be one who is a dynamic team player, as collaboration is an essential aspect of the job.
Membership in a provincial bar (preferably the Bar of Quebec) is required.
Proficiency in a foreign language and knowledge and experience in administrative law and class action proceedings are definitely assets.
- Adaptability and flexibility to work effectively in a context of constant change, shifting priorities, and conflicting demands, to embrace new ideas and to adjust to a variety of situations and individuals;
- Solid research and analytical skills, to identify, define and assess all relevant factors and weight alternative courses of action, and sound judgment in a fast-paced environment;
- Capacity to work under pressure, displaying composure in stressful situations;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and to develop strong co-operative relationships;
- Inclination to take initiative and be proactive and to offer to assist and support co-workers, resourcefulness to prevent problems, and ability to handle work independently, taking responsibility for own actions;
- Drive to satisfy and anticipate “client” needs, possessing creativity to tailor approach to meet the business needs;
- Drive for results and urgency, high motivation towards achievement and action-oriented with ability to sensibly prioritize efforts;
- Tenacity and resilience to persevere towards goals despite challenges and obstacles, maintaining enthusiasm and drive through to attainment of objectives.
Excellent negotiation, advocacy and written and oral communications skills (to convey messages and thoughts clearly, concisely, persuasively, and in a focused manner, to form compelling arguments based on facts, logic and law, to listen and question appropriately to gain full understanding, to tailor the message appropriately to the particular audience and to share information, ideas and feedback in a timely manner) are required. Integrity (including a strong work ethic, high personal standards, discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information, dedication to follow through on commitments, and openness and honesty in communications as well as a respectful demeanour) is assumed. A successful candidate will be one who takes pride in his or her role as a representative of Canada’s international airline.
The selected candidate will often work autonomously but will have the benefit of working closely with and learning from more senior counsel who have acquired a broad and deep understanding of all commercial and regulatory aspects of the Air Canada and airline business.
The candidate would be joining a company with a high profile and operations in a multi-faceted regulatory, competitive and international environment. Though the demands are high, they are devoid of the pressures of client development and billing, found in private practice. The environment is fast-paced with constant activity. The international dimension and exposure to a wide range of foreign legal regimes is also an attraction.
The opportunity to join a cohesive and dynamic group of professionals, who take pride in contributing to achieving Air Canada’s commercial and operational objectives and who are focused on personal growth and improving client services, is an attraction as is the opportunity to join an international airline whose successes and innovations are attracting very positive attention from the industry internationally and the investor community.LINGUISTIC REQUIREMENTS
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest on the clear legal job board; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.