Administrative Professional Excluded Staff
# of openings:
Reporting to the General Counsel, Legal Counsel is responsible for providing legal and strategic advice to the university administration and for providing support to the General Counsel. The Office of the General Counsel has conductover, and is accountable for, all legal matters arising at the University and for protecting the University's legal interests. Legal Counsel will apply sound judgement and legal analysis to provide constructive advice and problem solving to manage legal risk. Legal Counsel with work directly with academic and administrative units undertaking primarily solicitor's work, with a focus on contract negotiation, preparation and/or review, and providing legal advice informed by a wide range of practice areas including: intellectual property, general corporate/commercial and liability, labour and employment, human rights, privacy as well as governance and advice on university policies. Legal Counsel will provide coverage in the General Counsel's absence.
- LLB. Degree. and professional designation as a lawyer eligible to practice in BC (e.g., a member in good standing in The Law Society of British Columbia or eligible for membership) with eight years of related legal experience divided between private practice, post-secondary sector, industry and/or government, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Must be a member in good standing of the Law Society of British Columbia.
- Excellent knowledge of the laws of British Columbia and the laws of Canada applicable therein with specific emphasis on the BC University Act, the BC Financial Administration Act, the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, corporate, commercial, and contract law, and international/national patent and copyright laws.
- Ability to manage a large, complex, and diverse legal caseload.
- Excellent, oral, written, and interpersonal skills, exhibiting a high level of tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, problem solving, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent knowledge of the University's research-related policies and processes.
- Ability to negotiate contractual issues with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to manage highly confidential matters where the improper release of information would be injurious or detrimental to the University.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy in the process of successfully concluding multi-party agreements that are in compliance with University policies.
- Ability to uphold exemplary standards of the ethical and professional conduct.
- Ability to make sound decisions and respond appropriately in all situations within the given time constraints.
- Ability to accurately determine effective solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to multi-task and determine priorities in a demanding work environment;
- Ability to work collaboratively with numerous stakeholders (e.g. executives, faculty, staff, researchers, and industry and government research sponsors).
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION TO THE FOLLOWING CONTACTS:
The Counsel Network
Warren Smith, Managing Partner, 604-673-1711
Chaaya Jugdeb, Senior Recruitment Associate, 403-444-1767