Working for the City means you are part of something big, something special!! You will be part of a team of engaging, enthusiastic and dedicated people who are committed to collaborating with one another to deliver on our commitment to the residents, visitors and businesses of Mississauga.
Do you want to be part of a dynamic team?
You can make an impact by joining the City of Mississauga's legal team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Deputy City Solicitor, Litigation, the successful candidate will provide litigation support to lawyers practicing in the areas of construction/ commercial litigation and insurance defence litigation and will be responsible for:
- maintaining an electronic calendar and scheduling meetings, examinations for discovery and other litigation events.
- handling incoming and outgoing correspondence and filing in the document management system (DMS)
- timely and accurate preparation of letters, pleadings, memoranda and briefs
- ensuring litigation documents are served and filed in accordance with the Rules of Civil Procedure or applicable tribunal rules
- processing and tracking cheque requisitions, expenses and account payments
- Complying with relevant City policies.
- Providing ad hoc assistance on projects/initiatives within the unit/team.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum 3-5 years as a legal assistant in a litigation practice within a law firm or in-house legal department post-secondary legal assistant or law clerk diploma (or equivalent education)
- Professional demeanor and excellent interpersonal skills for communicating with client groups, lawyers and the general public
- Attention to detail and strong organizational and time-management skills
- Knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure and relevant statutes
- Demonstrated computer literacy in programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience with e-discovery and legal document management software is an asset
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 53,780.00 - $ 71,709.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section: CMO/City Manager's Office , CMO/Legal Services , Litigation
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.