Mastercard is a technology company in the global payments business, connecting cardholders, customers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses worldwide.
Mastercard’s Cyber & Intelligence Solutions (“C&I”) team is part of Mastercard’s global product and services group, and provides strategic and cutting edge safety, security, identity, authentication and fraud solutions to Mastercard’s customers and cardholders.
Mastercard is searching for a technology and transactional lawyer to provide commercial legal support and counsel to the C&I global product team.
This full-time role will support various new and emerging technologies, relating to network safety and security, fraud detection/reduction, and the improvement of the consumer experience. Reporting into the Assistant General Counsel for Mastercard’s C&I team, you will take a major role in providing commercial and product support for the business. You will:
- Work with business in bringing to market and/or scaling various solutions.
- Provide support to the C&I global and regional and sales teams to support product sales initiatives.
- Provide legal advice to the business on a wide range of commercial and contractual matters.
- Create, draft and negotiate technology agreements, including vendor, license, partnership and reseller agreements.
- Manage contractual negotiations with financial institutions, service providers, merchants and vendors.
- Work with internal and external regulatory counsel relating to the impact of local laws, government regulations and directives on C&I solutions.
- Act as product counsel and become an integral part of the business/product development team on a variety of C&I solutions and services advising clients through creation, development and launch stages of solutions.
- Identify and advise on intellectual property and data privacy product risks, with active support from Mastercard’s intellectual property and data privacy counsel.
- Provide legal and business risk assessment and analysis on matters from new product constructs to commercial agreements.
- Take responsibility for special projects while continuing to handle a steady stream of day-to-day matters.
- Ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Manage external counsel within agreed policy and budget.
- Develop strong relationships with product development, business, sales, and senior management within the company.
- Provide applicable training to the LFI, sales and product teams.
All About You
- Qualified Canadian lawyer with a solid academic and training background.
- Extensive legal experience, preferably including in-house experience.
- Experience in technology, security and/or payments agreements is a distinct advantage.
- Strong business acumen, and a keen interest in technology.
- Strong drafting and negotiating skills across a range of complex commercial contracts and the ability to analyze and identify core legal issues.
- Fast learner who can gain rapid familiarity with complex and evolving products and solutions.
- Exposure to a broad range of transactional, commercial and technology law issues.
- Strong working knowledge of data privacy and intellectual property issues.
- Team player and great attitude.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently.
- Experience working on global agreements, across multiple jurisdictions and time zones.
- Solutions-orientated and able to work flexibly, under pressure, and with tight deadlines.
- Lively interest in the business of Mastercard and an enjoyment of working in a fast-paced environment.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.