Legal Counsel II (L) - CLT - (GEN0018)
: Head Office
(Temporary Assignment/Contract up to 13 months)
Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario and our goal is to create a transportation network that enhances the prosperity, sustainability and quality of life for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. We lead planning in the region with a Regional Transportation Plan that guides the work and investments of the organization. This includes building light transit, bus rapid transit and Regional Express Rail, as well as operating GO Transit, UP Express and PRESTO.
The Legal Counsel II conducts professional legal work and provides timely, cost-effective and results-oriented legal advice and representation for general and specialty legal issues.
- Drafts and reviews memoranda of understanding, and real estate and other legal agreements and documents
- Oversees legal research on a diverse range of complex commercial and real estate matters
- Directs external counsel on real estate transaction and/or expropriation matters and makes recommendations to General Counsel
- Provides legal advice and opinions on a diverse range of complex commercial and real estate matters
- Supports the General Counsel for Board of Directors meetings including attending committee meetings, and reviewing draft board and committee reports
- Leads legal presentations to Management and the Senior Management Team (SMT)
- Advises all levels of Management, including briefings of senior management and business unit heads
- Maintains knowledge of current provincial and federal legislation and regulations that may impact Metrolinx; recommends amendments to existing policies and procedures arising from relevant legislative or regulatory changes; and provides advice/opinions on the interpretation of legislation
- Contributes to enhancing corporate policies and procedures and provides opinions and advice to organization
- Provides proactive legal advice to organization outside of specific legal assignments
- Provides advice and prepares legal documents that comply with the law and do not expose Metrolinx to risk and/or financial loss
- Provides Section 28 applications to the Minister of Finance
- Assists with training and mentoring of junior lawyers
- Provides feedback and direction to paralegal and administrative staff
- Provides informal mentoring to summer and articling students
Location: 97 Front Street West, Toronto
 Section 28 of Ontario’s Financial Administration Act (FAA) provides that a ministry or public entity shall not enter into any financial arrangement, commitment, guarantee, indemnity or similar transaction that would increase, directly or indirectly, the indebtedness or contingent liabilities of the Province of Ontario, unless written approval is obtained from the Minister of Finance.
- Completion of a degree in law or a related discipline – or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent
- Minimum five (5) years’ legal experience, with particular emphasis on corporate commercial matters such as procurement processes, and real estate transactions
- Membership in the Law Society of Ontario as a Lawyer in good standing is required
- Laws relating to construction, claims and risk management or transportation would be assets
- Ability to contribute to corporate policies, standards and procedures to minimize corporate legal risk and protect position and assets
- Ability to provide sound legal advice and suggest business-oriented solutions to complex legal issues in commercial and political contexts
- Interpersonal, negotiation, drafting and presentation skills; Provision of legal opinions and interpretations; and direction and management of external legal counsel
To apply for this position, please submit resume online, no later than May 22, 2019.
Please note that applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
Please be advised, Metrolinx uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. A Criminal Record Search may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER