Located primarily at LSS’ Vancouver Regional Centre, this position supports LSS’ Family Law advice services. Working as part of a team to provide intake and legal administrative support to Family LawLINE and Family Duty Counsel, you will work directly with clients and lawyers on a daily basis. This rewarding position includes front-line client service by telephone, email and occasionally in person. The successful candidate must demonstrate compassion, good interpersonal skills and attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
Who We Are
The Legal Services Society provides legal aid to people with low incomes in BC. As a non-profit organization, our goal is to provide legal information, advice, and representation services to some of BC’s most vulnerable and marginalized citizens: those who do not have the financial, educational, social or health resources to effectively access the justice system when their families, freedom, or safety are at risk.
The Ideal Candidate
You have post-secondary education supplemented by completed Legal Administration courses or program as well as courses in Law, Sociology or related disciplines, and five years of Administration experience in a law environment. An equivalent combination of training, education and experience may be considered. You strive to exceed expectations and are a team player.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively by active listening, question and reading to obtain relevant information; to communicate positive or negative information both verbally and in writing, in a tactful and empathetic manner, to internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to provide quality customer service in a timely and professional manner while exhibiting diplomacy in a stressful and deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a telephone system and provide services over the telephone in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to act as a representative of the organization by assuming responsibility for providing courteous, empathetic, knowledgeable service to meeting the expectations of clients and service providers.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify and analyze problems and make decisions within policy, procedures, and guidelines while exhibiting sound judgment and using discretion where required.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain professional and effective relationships with co-workers, clients, external agencies, and service providers in an environment which includes competing demands, sensitive issues and potential conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to both independently and within a team environment, plan, coordinate, organize and prioritize a diverse, high volume workload to effectively multi-task and meet deadlines, changing demands and priorities while maintaining accuracy in order to achieve goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to train, orient, motivate, and provide guidance, and act as a resource to others.
- Working knowledge of Family, Child Protection and Criminal Law practices and procedures.
- General knowledge of methods available to stay current with family, child protection and Criminal Law and procedure changes.
- Demonstrated ability to type 45 wpm.
- Working knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
- Basic Working knowledge of database systems (SharePoint).
- Intermediate Working knowledge of MS Office Suites (word, excel, PowerPoint).
- Intermediate Working knowledge of Outlook.
In return for your hard work and experience, you will be rewarded with a competitive annual salary based on your skills and experience, as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Four weeks paid vacation to start that grows the longer you’re with LSS
- An excellent employee benefits package, where premiums are 100% paid by LSS
- A generous pension plan
- Support for training and development
- An Employee and Family Assistance program
- $300 a year towards Employee Wellness programs
- A healthy work/life balance
- Social events where employees are given the opportunity to have fun, relax and network with each other
- Generous leave provisions (sick time, special leaves)
- 13 paid statutory holidays
If you are interested in joining us – visit our careers page for the full job posting at www.lss.bc.ca and apply now!
Please indicate competition #, position title, and whether you are an internal or externalapplicant in the posting in the subject line.
We would like to thank all external applicants for their interest but regret that only those shortlisted will be contacted. The Legal Services Society is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian Society. We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from indigenous people, visible minorities, women and persons with disabilities.