Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Controls LPs’ calendar, making or changing appointments, and organizing meetings on a regular or ad hoc basis including arranging for facilities, preparing agenda, dealing with attendees or speakers and keeping LPS apprised of issues requiring attention.
- Proactively provides LPs with a high level of personalized support in an effort to optimize practice efficiency by monitoring and responding to email messages to keep current on developments within the practice; maintaining LPs’ calendar.
- Drafts correspondence for review by a LP, including receives, researches, prepares for and follows up on audit inquiries.
- Conducts quality control, by reviewing work delegated to others, such as documents, standard letters, invoices, time charges.
- Co-ordinates the logistics of external client functions and makes travel and hospitality arrangements as required. Provides administrative assistance to clients as required through scheduling and arranging meetings, booking facilities and travel, with awareness of LP and client preferences.
- Manages file, such as obtaining/researching information for NBI process, workspace management, including creating and managing folders in iManage, communicating with LPs and Legal Administrative Assistants (LAs) working on files, following up on WIP.
- Manages the activities associated with effective Matter Management and Billings & Collections in order to reduce non-billable activities. Interacts with Practice Management & Innovation (PMI) regarding matter budget information.
- Independently performs client account management by ensuring time charges are submitted, following up on delinquent time charges (with other LPs and LAs), reviewing and editing prebills, preparing invoices for review by LPs, verifying fees and disbursements, preparing write-offs and addressing client inquiries regarding billing.
- Assists the LP in the development of new business, and in their relationships with current clients through effective CRM practices to reduce non-billable client interactions.
- Supports client development activities, such as managing LP bios, entering/updating information into OnePlace, flagging opportunities for LP.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with clients, understanding client businesses, practices and expectations.
- Report generation relating to client activities, billings and Firm administration or management.
- First point of contact with clients and various internal and external stakeholders to provide assistance and information as required.
- Mentors LAs, including providing guidance on building relationship with LP and types of work that should be delegated by LP to LA.
- Maintains high level of discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- The position requires the completion of a Community College Office or Business Administration program plus a minimum of five years’ experience working in a professional services or legal environment.
- Experience as a general executive assistant or project management experience is an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Knowledge and Skills
- Maintains high level of discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Organizational skills required to effectively multi-task
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Knowledge of legal procedures and practices
- Solid drafting and proofreading skills
- Detail-oriented and analytical thinking required to conduct effective research
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date to: