Purpose of Role
The Practice Assistant’s primary purpose is to provide assistance to leading Agents/Lawyers efficiently supporting the management of their practice contributing to the overall service excellence provided to our clients by the Intellectual Property group.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our Respectful Workplace Policy, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position. The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Manage due dates for Agents and follow up with clients when needed
- Assist with the preparation of correspondence with clients and associates in many jurisdictions
- Communicate internally and externally, to ensure that all correspondence and deadlines are managed in a timely manner and in accordance with the BLG Service Standards
- Distribute workflow as appropriate to Document Specialist and Administrative team members
- Draft, file and report revised applications and office action responses
- Assist with preparation of correspondence in oppositions, summary cancellation proceedings, and disputes
- Coordinate with support teams to arrange meetings and travel requirements
- Support Agents in marketing activities including involvement in preparation of pitches and presentations
- Manage client accounts including ensuring all time is captured and invoiced in accordance with client instructions
- In addition to providing support to the Agents to whom they report, a Practice Assistant will also provide assistance to their colleagues as required
Key Competencies Required
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience as a Legal or IP Assistant supporting lawyers/agents in the area of Intellectual Property
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; French would be considered a strong asset
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, research tools and other systems implemented by the firm and an accurate typing speed of approximately 60 words per minute
- Committed to furthering their knowledge to remain up-to-date on current technology and best practices
- Excellent communication, organizational and teamwork skills
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to think ahead and use initiative
- Flexible, dependable and able to remain calm under pressure and work to tight deadlines
- Conscientious, approachable and enthusiastic
- Able to quickly build confidence, respect, and trust with others
- Have a positive approach to daily tasks and have a solutions focused working method
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
*Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and Partners are not eligible for consideration.