Reporting to the CFO, the Legal Specialist Assistant is responsible for ensuring legal file management and review and coordinates with Corporate Counsel, members of the legal department and all interested stakeholders to ensure timely delivery and deadlines are met.
- Prepares and distributes franchise disclosure documents in compliance with laws across Canada.
- Prepares and distributes franchise documents relating to the sale of new cafes, corporately-owned cafes, franchisee to franchisee resales, share re-organization.
- Assists in-house counsel with leasing matters.
- Manages the new term franchise renewal process as it pertains to Legal, ensuring franchise disclosure and franchise documents are prepared, tracked and returned within the applicable timelines.
- Responsible for maintaining and renewing extra-provincial registrations and business name registrations across Canada.
- Assists in the preparation of sensitive correspondence such as notices of default, NDA’s, promissory notes and vendor confidentiality agreements.
- Assists with Litigation file management, coordinating terminations and asset purchases
- TM file management and invoice processing as it relates to same.
- Fields calls and emails from Franchise Partners with routine inquiries regarding new term renewals, processes and other legal issues.
- Liaises with counsel, financial advisors, banks and government agencies to resolve issues.
- Provides administrative support to Corporate Counsel and legal department as necessary.
- Organization and management of electronic and physical legal department files.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of franchise disclosure regulations across Canada.
- Working knowledge of franchise documents and lease preparation.
- 1-3 years’ experience in similar role with direct Franchise and lease experience.
- University or college degree in a related field (e.g. paralegal or law clerk program).
- Knowledge of Corporate law, Litigation and Real Estate/Leasing an asset.
- Superior knowledge of MS Word, Excel, etc.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and competing deadlines in a fast paced legal department.
- Superior organization skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and prioritize accordingly.
- Strong attention to detail.
Job Type: Contract
- Corporate law, Litigation and Real Estate/Leasing an asset: 1 year (Preferred)
- in similar role with direct Franchise and lease e: 1 year (Required)
- franchise disclosure regulations across Canada: 2 years (Required)
- * Working knowledge of franchise documents and lease prepara: 2 years (Required)