As an Associate Lawyer, you will play a key role in managing legal risk and costs relating to corporate legal matters and compliance for Vancity. Reporting to the Director of Legal, you will work collaboratively with the legal team, as well as provide legal support and guidance to Compliance, Privacy, Anti-Money Laundering, and other business leaders across the organization.
As an Associate Lawyer, you will be responsible for:
- Monitoring and advising on developments in the legislative and regulatory landscape to support Vancity’s Compliance group.
- Providing timely and responsive legal advice enabling Vancity to make business decisions with a clear and well-informed understanding of any related legal risks and impacts at the business level.
- Identifying opportunities to continuously improve the service delivery model for legal services that is aligned to business and strategic goals.
- Providing support to Legal Counsel and Director of Legal Services on legal cases and projects.
What you'll bring to the team:
- Ability to quickly assess complex situations, laws and regulations and develop practical options to respond, which display sound judgment and legal knowledge to the business.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Solid research and analytical skills to assess and recommend course of action on trends, and to identify risks and opportunities that may impact the unit.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills to provide highly specialized expertise and advice; address challenges and issues for the designated area; and represent the area across the organization.
- Ability to drive issues to a quick resolution that factors in many legal and non-legal variables.
- Minimum 3-5 years of post-call legal experience in Financial Services, Compliance and Regulatory Matters or a regulated industry.
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of British Columbia.
Why you’ll want to join us:
- We’re local and support our local economy financially, socially and environmentally which has direct impact on our communities and the future
- Work-life balance
- We are bold leaders in our industry
- Convenient location right at Main Street-Science World SkyTrain Station
- Competitive benefits and perks (e.g. tuition reimbursement, flexible medical and dental coverage, profit shares, and more!)
- Vancity is a top 100 employer in Canada
Apply to This Job
Send This Job to a Friend
We commit to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace and to working with people and communities to help them thrive and prosper. Diversity is integral to this commitment. Our diversity allows us to fully understand, connect to, and respond to the needs of our members and communities.
Sound like a good fit? Put your outstanding skills to use with an organization that promotes work-life-balance, accountability-based leadership and member-led innovation that creates community impact. Apply online today!