The purpose of this position is to provide expert, comprehensive legal advice for the BMW Group and its companies on business critical, strategic, high risk and exposure, regulatory, compliance, public policy, and day-to-day matters. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, performing in-house legal work, controlling legal costs, and managing and directing law firms, experts, legislative counsel, lobbyists, vendors, suppliers, and other third parties in handling BMW Group legal affairs. Description
- The Corporate Counsel position is responsible for providing legal advice to the Executives, Management, and Associates of BMW Group Canada, BMW Group Financial Services Canada, MINI Canada, and BMW Motorrad Canada.
- The Corporate Counsel is required to advise and/or recommend on a diverse range of legal issues and matters involving all jurisdictions across Canada. Duties also include identifying/reducing both legal and non-legal risk exposure, and advising accordingly.
- The lawyer in this position advises BMW Canada, BMW North America, and BMW AG on Canadian law, federally and provincially, responds to legal questions and inquiries, attends meetings, conducts research, performs investigations, and prepares memoranda and recommendations, as necessary.
- For the BMW Group Financial Services Canada division, the focus of this position is on topics such as Commercial Finance transactions (inventory financing, mortgage/construction financing, etc.), litigation (including vicarious liability), contracts, and Collections.
- For the BMW Group Canada Sales division, the focus is of this position is on topics such as contracts, and litigation (including product liability and class actions).
- This position advises, negotiates, and assists with material transactions, as well as monitors and directs external legal counsel providing services to BMW Group Canada. In addition, the lawyer manages and negotiates legal fees charged by external counsel.
- With respect to non-litigation, and legislative legal matters, the lawyer in this position is responsible for making strategic and significant decisions and directing and supervising the work performed by partners, associates, and law clerks at law firms, experts, legislative counsel, lobbyists, vendors, suppliers, and other third parties in handling BMW Group Canada legal matters.
- Responsibilities of the lawyer in this position involve managing budgets and handling matters in a cost effective manner to achieve budget targets.
- The lawyer in this position is responsible for training and mentoring other in-house lawyers on matters on which they have expertise.
- Some overnight travel is required.
Qualifications and experience
- The person in this position is required to have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, and hold a Juris Doctor or Bachelor of Laws degree from an accredited law school, and be a member of the bar in at least one jurisdiction in Canada.
- Five years of legal experience is required at a minimum. At least ten years of experience would be ideal and preferred.
- Legal experience, including in-house, with another motor vehicle distributor or manufacturer, general automotive legal, and/or franchise experience, and Competition law experience is desired, but not required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and negotiation skills are necessary.
- Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook are requisites.
- French language proficiency is a definite asset.
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.
BMW Group Canada is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse team of associates and creating an inclusive environment. BMW Group Canada does not discriminate against applicants based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, provincial or territorial law.
Legal Entity: BMW Group Canada Location: Toronto Job ID: 180005TL