Canopy Growth Corporation ("Canopy Growth") is a listed company on the Toronto Stock Exchange (WEED), the New York Stock Exchange (CGC) and part of the S&P Composite Index. Its wholly owned subsidiaries, including its flagship Tweed and international medical companies operating under the Spectrum Cannabis brand, are leading producers of legal, regulated cannabis. With millions of square feet of licensed cannabis production, and operations spanning five continents, Canopy is the largest legal producer of cannabis in the world.
Headquartered in Smiths Falls Ontario, Canopy Growth recognizes that employees are at the core of our success and take pride in a corporate culture that emphasizes inclusiveness, collaboration and diversity. Our employees stem from a wide range of professional backgrounds; each bringing their own unique skills and talents to the table, working together to continue our incredible momentum of growth.
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the Patent Attorney/ Agent will be a part of a superior legal function building within Canopy Growth, including its wholly owned subsidiaries. This individual will be a detail-oriented person who can work independently and in collaboration with the legal team.
- Working closely with Canopy engineers and scientists in Canopy Growth Corporation’s invention disclosure review process to identify valuable inventions for patent applications
- Analyzing pending patent applications to determine their value to CGC and to formulate a global filing strategy
- Reviewing patent applications and office action responses (including in different foreign jurisdictions) drafted by outside counsel
- In-house preparing patent applications and office action responses for filing in different jurisdictions for significant patent applications
- Analyzing and managing patent portfolios
- Providing support in licensing, litigation, or other matters from time to time
- Actively engaging in training, knowledge sharing, and other career development opportunities
- Conduct technology and patent portfolio assessments of potential partners and competitors
- Other duties as assigned
- 5-10 years of relevant experience at a law firm or in-house performing patent application preparation through the full range of patent prosecution activities
- Experience writing patents involving chemistry and genetics preferred
- Experience writing electrical engineering patents an asset
- Written over 50 originating patent applications, and demonstrated success in advancing patent applications through prosecution
- Registered USPTO/CIPO Patent Agent (member in good standing with applicable provincial/territorial Law Society will be considered an asset)
- Ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented, organized, self-starter, able to communicate effectively with individuals across the team, including the legal, scientific, business and technical areas
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Proactive, result-oriented, and strong motivation to excel