Reporting to the Director, Corporate, Securities and Finance Law, this position offers a junior lawyer an opportunity to do high caliber legal work as a member of a collegial, collaborative in-house team. The role will involve working closely with the other lawyers and the legal support team in the department as well as the client groups in the provision of legal services to TransCanada, its subsidiaries and affiliates on corporate law and governance matters, corporate finance activities, including prospectus offerings and banking arrangements, and financial derivatives.
Where appropriate, the incumbent will work independently and as part of a team to fulfill the specific responsibilities which may include the following:
- Draft, review and negotiate documentation related to launch and execution of public offerings (equity and debt) and private placements in Canada and the U.S.;
- Draft or review credit facilities and loan agreements;
- Draft or participate in the review of securities filing documents such as Management Information Circulars, Annual Information Forms, Management’s Discussion & Analysis and other securities filings;
- Provide legal support and representation on corporate matters, including drafting documents for incorporations, dissolutions, restructurings and reorganizations;
- Assist in the development, execution and interpretation of corporate policies;
- Assist in the preparation of materials for the board of directors and its committees;
- Assist in the preparation of materials for the board of directors of subsidiary and joint venture entities;
- Draft legal memoranda relating to corporate and securities law issues; and
- Oversight of paralegals’ work.
- Strong knowledge of corporate and securities law;
- Detail oriented with strong legal drafting skills;
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving capabilities;
- Proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities within tight timeframes;
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic, constantly changing environment.
Education and Experience
- Law degree with at least two years directly relevant post-articling experience gained at a national law firm, major financial institution or public company;
- Experience in Canadian and U.S. public offerings of debt and equity securities including prospectus establishments and shelf renewals would be an asset;
- Experience in drafting and negotiating credit facilities and loan agreements would be an asset;
- Experience negotiating ISDA Master Agreements for financial derivatives would be an asset;
- Membership in a Canadian law society (preferably Alberta).
*Depending on the qualifications of the applicants, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or ladder.
Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the country in which the position is based with no restrictions.
TransCanada is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to provide employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to race, religion, age, sex, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or disability. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available on request during the recruitment process. Applicants with disabilities can request accessible formats or communication supports by contacting email@example.com
All positions require background screening. Some include criminal and/or credit checks in order to comply with regulations.
Please apply to this posting by 11/13/2018. To apply, go to jobs.transcanada.com and enter reference code 55721. Only applications submitted through the TransCanada Careers website will be acknowledged.
TransCanada is an equal opportunity employer.
Make what you do matter.
At TransCanada we dream big, think big and do big things. For over 65 years, we've had the vision and scale to deliver big things that matter to the world. From supplying reliable and efficient energy to millions of North Americans with our pipelines, gas storage and power generation facilities, we believe in making big things possible.
TransCanada is looking for people who are willing to think about the future...and think big. We're looking for people who are ready to take on the most significant challenges of their careers and define energy infrastructure in North America.
Thank you for choosing TransCanada in your career search.
Job Segment: Financial, Equity, Corporate Finance, Law, Finance, Legal