Surrey or Kelowna
FortisBC Holdings Inc
Management & Exempt
FortisBC is currently seeking 2 candidates for the position of full-time Legal Counsel to work out of our Surrey, BC office or our Kelowna, BC office. We are looking for a 3-6 year call and a 6 year plus call. These positions report to the Director, Legal Services. Please specify on your cover letter the office location of your preference.
We are seeking a corporate and commercial lawyer with experience in drafting and negotiating a wide range of agreements, including consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and goods and services agreements. Experience in any of the following areas is an asset:
- Advertising and marketing law review, including CASL compliance;
- Funding and project development agreements;
- Energy supply agreements, including power purchase agreements, ISDAs and Gas EDIs;
- Advising a customer service department;
- M&A, securities, corporate finance and banking law;
- First Nations law; and
- Regulatory law
These positions require a confident, commercially-minded lawyer with the proven ability to work independently while managing complex projects, excellent drafting and negotiation skills, attention to detail and a pro-active approach.
Provide legal advice in relation to British Columbia law and support negotiations. Research legal principles, interview business owners and prepare legal opinions or documents that are consistent with corporate policies, standards, principles and goals.
Manage legal files and business owners’ expectations. Assist business owners in understanding legal issues relative to designated operational areas. Negotiate and draft complex legal agreements and related documentation to reflect instructions within overall corporate, business and regulatory strategies for key business areas of the organization.
Education and Experience:
Law degree (LLB or JD) plus at least 3 years of post-call experience for the 3-6 year call position and 6 year plus post-call experience for the 6 year plus call position, either in an in-house legal department or in a law firm.
To be considered for this position, a candidate must be a member in good standing of the Law Society of BC.
- Extensive experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts
- Ability to work independently and take instructions directly from business owners
- High level of organizational skills with strong analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple time-sensitive projects concurrently
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong writing and advocacy skills
- The ability to present legal issues to people in a variety of positions
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, research, evaluate and interpret legislation and legal issues
- Demonstrated ability to provide legal opinions and advice
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office applications
This position will involve occasional travel, primarily within BC, and the ability to maintain a flexible work schedule based on operational needs.