Legal in Toronto, Canada
We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
We are currently searching for a high-calibre commercial counsel to help manage our commercial and product needs in Canada. You will be based at Uber's Toronto office.
What You'll Do
- Work closely with our Canada team and other members of the legal department globally on commercial contracts, marketing, corporate and product matters
- Act as a point of contact on issues for the business in Canada as well as for teams at our HQ in San Francisco
- Be an active partner, and ensure the provision of timely business-focused advice, to a variety of business areas including product development, vehicle solutions, business development and Uber for Business
- Work on commercial contracts such as promotional agreements, sponsorships, partnerships as well as general procurement and marketing and advertising initiatives
- You'll take responsibility for ensuring we have the right processes and tools available to enable the team's capability to scale as the business does
- Provide strategic and proactive legal advice to internal business groups. It's our job to peer around corners for the business and ensure that we are well positioned for the future
- Understand, interpret and apply current regulations as applicable to Uber's business models in the region and your areas of responsibility
- Work hard but have a lot of fun doing it!
What You'll Need
- Significant post-qualification experience at a top-notch law firm or in-house (ideally 3+ years of experience)
- Strong commercial contracts and consumer law training and experience (ideally including dealing with international contracts, privacy and competition)
- Strong academic credentials and law degree from a top law school or university
- Excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills
- To be able to think on your feet and make quick decisions
- Thrive in high impact/high profile situations
- Enthusiastic about Uber!
About the Team
Uber is changing the world and the Uber Legal Team is proud to be a part of that. You will be part of a growing team working on cutting-edge issues and shaping the legal landscape in an exciting, fast-paced environment. We're not just another social web app: we help move real assets and real people around their cities.