TD Insurance is part of TD Bank Group, one of Canada’s largest financial institutions. TD Insurance helps protect clients from the ‘accidents of life’ with a wide range of products including credit protection, life, health, travel, home and auto insurance. With more than three million clients, TD Insurance authorized products and services are available online, over the phone, and through a network of more than 1,000 TD Canada Trust branches.
In Canada, we have two lines of business, General Insurance and Life and Health. Our General Insurance business is one of the top home and auto insurance groups in Canada and the national leader in group insurance and affinity marketing. Our Life and Health business is the number one provider of critical illness insurance and direct life and health insurance in Canada.
At TD Insurance, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment. With a Canada-wide workforce of over 4,000 employees and offices in Atlantic Canada, Quebec, Ontario and Alberta, our company is always growing and can help you to grow. TD Insurance offers a stable and dynamic work environment where talent is appreciated and professional development is taken seriously. More than just a job, we offer rewarding careers.
Job Category - Primary
Reporting to the AVP Claims Litigation Services, the Managing Lawyer leads a group of practice leaders, lawyers, law clerks and articling students in the assigned office(s). The Managing Lawyer oversees all phases of legal operations pertaining legal practice and management of legal practitioners including technical support, professional development, quality reviews, compliance, and delivery of business results. The Managing Lawyer carries a limited number of active litigation cases and may step in to lead complex trials, arbitrations or appeals.
TD Insurance Claims Litigation Services provides high-quality, timely, cost-effective legal services out of offices in Markham, Edmonton, Calgary and Halifax. Claims Legal Services lawyers represent TD Insurance and its customers in litigation involving tort, property and accident benefit disputes (including priority and loss transfer applications). Our lawyers carry litigation files from initial referral through to trial/arbitration and appeal with the support of Practice Leaders, their Managing Lawyer and executives.
The Managing Lawyer provides inspirational leadership to the litigation group while managing processes, programs and systems in order to achieve office goals and optimum levels of performance. S/he establishes and maintains a positive culture for the legal team, and exercises independent professional judgment on behalf of clients to bring litigated claims to a reasonable, appropriate and timely resolution to the highest possible degree of client satisfaction, in an ever-changing legal environment.
Key accountabilities include:
- In consultation with the executives, sets goals for the litigation group, which are in line with business objectives and ensures high quality delivery on those objectives.
- Actively participates in and oversees the performance management process.
- Monitors legal work for quality and takes appropriate action to correct deficiencies.
- Recruits and oversees training of legal practitioners.
- Provides guidance and coaching to department members.
- Monitors incoming case assignments for appropriateness.
- Acts as principal contact and advisor for legal inquiries.
- Stays informed of developments in jurisprudence and legislation, and effectively communicates that information to stakeholders.
- Acts as primary escalation point for issues involving Claims Litigation Services legal practitioners.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with key partners.
- Provides direction and communicates a clear vision for the office.
- Contributes to the business objectives for Operational Excellence by adhering to mandatory compliance and audit requirements.
- Understands and ensures compliance with business operation policies/procedures and legislation.
- Is knowledgeable of and ensures compliance with company and industry codes of conduct.
- Innovates and promotes innovation with a view to improving the work environment.
Completion of law school with LLB or JD, and admission to the bar in the applicable jurisdiction.
Minimum of 10 years experience as a litigation lawyer.
Minimum of 5 years management experience, preferably at a large law firm, corporation or in-house legal department.
Extensive litigation experience, including acting as lead counsel on trials, arbitrations and/or appeals.
Expert knowledge of insurance law, personal injury litigation and civil procedure.
Expert knowledge of trial procedure and the evidentiary law.
Knowledge of employment law would be an asset.
Highly effective communication skills.
Ability to lead with impact and inspire others.
High emotional intelligence.
Demonstrated experience with talent development.
Experience with change management.
Excellent risk management acumen.
Experience with audit and compliance would be an asset.
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.