TD Bank Group is currently seeking to add two financial services regulatory lawyers to its Toronto-based Legal Department.
The successful candidate will provide proactive legal advice to TD's businesses and corporate functions on regulatory law matters. You will have, or will develop, flexible expertise across a variety of regulatory areas, including privacy & data protection, anti-spam, anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, competition law, Bank Act and emerging areas of financial technology regulation. Your work will help TD’s businesses to manage regulatory and legal risk in connection with new product and app launches, significant contracts and projects, transactions, regulatory consultations, and various complex customer matters.Key accountabilities:
- Provide consistent, sound and practical legal advice on financial services regulatory law matters in areas of law assigned to you.
- Develop expertise and provide support in new areas of regulatory law as our needs evolve over time.
- Develop, maintain and implement legal self-help tools for compliance partners, other corporate areas and our businesses.
- Contribute to the effective and respectful resolution of conflicts between different TD stakeholders engaged in regulatory issues.
- Work closely with our business and compliance partners to manage regulatory change.
- Lead or support in regulatory advocacy activities.
- Assist in the development of internal processes and governance to support TD’s regulatory compliance.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships by effectively communicating and regularly sharing information, learnings, and knowledge with colleagues.
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- A member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada and with 5 years’ working in a major law firm, financial institution or relevant regulator.
- Demonstrated ability to provide practical solutions to businesses in the face of regulatory complexity, and to positively influence internal partners.
- Strong desire and demonstrated capability to learn new areas of law to a level of mastery.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, complex environment and manage multiple deadlines and competing priorities with relative independence.A
- A self-starter with a desire to take ownership of issues and to push the boundaries of your legal expertise into new areas.
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.