The Corporate General Counsel will have an integrated role, working across the company to provide legal expertise, risk management and regulatory governance. As the Counsel looks to increase and maintain the company’s reputation, s/he will ensure compliance, legal conformity and diminished probability of exposure. Success in this role will be determined by a direct and tangible impact on steering business success while guaranteeing the company follows strict guidelines and protocols. Our client is looking for an entrepreneurial, inquisitive and analytical Lawyer to join the team as a critical member in meeting negotiations, setting best practices and crafting the legal requirements to meet our strategic business goals.
Expectations of this role are to build out the legal function from creating a legal framework to drafting/creating documents, refining existing documents and policies to negotiating on behalf of our client with all stakeholders to protect our client’s interests and reduce exposure.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide accurate and timely legal counsel to management on a variety of topics such as but not limited to contract law, IP, non-competition, trademarks, board governance, cyber security, privacy law etc.;
- Draft, review, and negotiate on behalf of our client with external stakeholders on a variety of topics.
- Develop policies to administer the company’s corporate legal affairs and bridge gaps in existing policies;
- Devise risk management and effective regulatory compliance strategies;
- Interpret and ensure compliance with privacy legislation, alerting the Executive team and management of regulatory changes or new legislation;
- Communicate legal risks to business partners related to negotiated provisions in contracts;
- Create programs to ensure management executes on Service Level agreements and delivery obligations to customers;
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations;
- Research unique legal issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes;
- Review Statement of Works (SOWs), and assist in reviewing and writing RFI / RFPs;
- Provide advice and participate in Due Diligence in joint ventures, strategic partnership deals, and mergers and/or acquisitions;
- Explain legal language and advise executives on business terms of various deals;
- Provide advice and guidance on advertising and marketing materials to ensure compliance with legal requirements;
- Provide advice and guidance on Human Resources issues and requirements in Canada, the USA and globally.
- Law degree from an accredited Canadian or American law school;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience at a top tier firm or in-house experience;
- Called to the bar in a Province of Canada; Member in good standing to practice law;
- At least 4 years’ prior experience as in-house legal counsel on creating, drafting legal contracts, terms and conditions, SOWs, MSAs etc to protect the legal interests and reducing the liability for organizations related to such matters as anti-competition, intellectual property, privacy law, corporate law, employment law, CASL and general contract matters;
- Knowledge of regulatory policies across multiple jurisdictions to assess potential business impact and opportunities;
- Ability to provide training to management/executives and its affiliates on substantive legal topics;
- Deep experience in business law, familiarity with regulatory reporting within a technology field
- Expert knowledge of corporate and contract law, and exposure to IT/IP law;
- Must be proficient in drafting and solidifying agreements, contracts and other legal documents;
- Strong negotiator and has led/facilitated multiple commercial negotiations;
- Boundless professionalism and a capacity to multitask and manage time effectively using prioritization;
- Conduct work with integrity and responsibility;
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity;
- Ability to work well on your own but enjoy participating in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment;
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills to work across the organization and lead cross- functional teams;
- Strong communication skills to communicate complex and/or controversial topics and concepts to a wide and diverse audience both internally and externally;
- Exceptional organizational abilities, prioritization techniques;
- Innovative and resourceful with a strong sense of corporate awareness.