Do you want to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, innovative organization? Are you excited about working with a dedicated community who makes a real difference in the lives of Canadians by recruiting blood, stem cell, cord blood and organ, eye and tissue donors? Do you want to help save lives every day? Then this job is for you.
Canadian Blood Services is a collaborative community of donors, volunteers, health care professionals, employees and corporate partners committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians.
We are currently seeking a Lawyer to join our legal team in our Ottawa head office.
The primary function of our legal counsel is to provide legal and risk management advice to Canadian Blood Services on its activities throughout Canada. Reporting to the Vice-President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary and working closely with other in-house counsel, you will be responsible to:
- Work collaboratively to provide timely and effective legal advice and support in the day-to-day business of Canadian Blood Services, covering a wide range of areas of law
- Provide advice on compliance with applicable legislative and regulatory requirements across multiple jurisdictions, government directives, internal policies and procedures, and risk management matters
- Conduct legal research and writing
- Draft, review and negotiate a broad range of corporate and commercial agreements, including leases, procurement contracts, research and data-sharing agreements
- Assist in overseeing the legal department’s litigation and claims portfolio
- Facilitate the development and translation of legal knowledge, including development of education to Canadian Blood Services’ employees on emerging legal issues and best practices
- Retain, instruct, and supervise the work of external counsel, as required to ensure CBS’ goals are met and comply with applicable laws and best practices regarding corporate governance
- Supervise and mentor administrative legal staff and legal students.
Education and Experience:
- A law degree from a recognized academic institution is required
- Membership in good standing with a law society (common law) of a Canadian province or territory is required
- 2 to 5 years post call experience gained in a law firm or corporate legal environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are essential
- Experience providing advice on regulatory matters, health law, corporate law, and privacy law
- Excellent analytical, research, problem-solving and interpersonal skills are required, including ability to analyse and interpret the effects of laws and regulations on Canadian Blood Services’ operations
- Substantial knowledge of and demonstrated familiarity with legislative and regulatory frameworks
- An interest and willingness to take on other matters as is appropriate with a small team of professionals
- High degree of professionalism, strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to work effectively and efficiently, in the context of competing demands, with internal clients at all levels of management on legal subjects
- Ability to think critically about business needs and risks and tailor legal advice accordingly
- Other health, risk management or other related credentials would be an asset
- Prior experience working in-house with a biologics manufacturer or health care organization is considered an asset.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada