The Corporate Legal Counsel Provide advice, guidance, and support on corporate legal matters including, maintaining corporate records and regulatory filings, participating in contract negotiations, acquisitions, divestures, the formation of new entities in both the US and Canada, insurance placement and claims, litigation management, financing, environmental appeals, safety and human resources. Counsel will conduct all activities in a way that exemplifies Pinnacle’s Values, Vision and Mission.
- Provide legal support on corporate legal matters including acquisitions, divestures, insurance, litigation management, financing, environmental, safety and human resources in both the US and Canada.
- Assist with the preparation, negotiation and completion of contracts including but not limited to major purchases, sales, fibre acquisitions, joint ventures, M & A activities and business development.
- Ensure the company carries out day-to-day business activities and ongoing business strategies in a legal and ethical manner, and comply with all relevant organization policies, industry standards, applicable laws and regulations of government authorities having jurisdiction.
- Support refinancing, equity raising projects.
- Provide advice and strategy around claims, disputes or other legal proceedings as required.
- Take part in settlement negotiations.
- Assist in the identification and management of risk for the organization and recommend initiatives to mitigate such when possible.
- Create, review & advise on Non-Disclosure agreements required out of the course of the business.
- Communicate with the Executive Team, Business, and Functional Unit Management and provide advice and guidance on relevant matters.
- Direct and interact with outside counsel on various corporate legal matters
- Undertake and lead special projects as requested and required.
Corporate Secretary Responsibilities
- Provide legal support to fulfill the mandates of Corporate Secretary and Privacy Officer.
- Communicate, provide feedback and ensure minimum requirements are met for regulatory requirements.
- Maintain and file corporate records.
- Work with Investor Relations team to ensure the annual schedule, call and documents are completed within regulatory requirements, ensuring compliance around the filing of annual reports, circular, proxies, etc.
Team & Leadership
- Passionately live the Pinnacle values and work towards our Mission & Vision in all activities.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders; Internally - Executive Team, Operations Management, Finance. Externally – Government Agencies, Ministry of Forestry, Fibre Suppliers and strategic partners.
- Communicate, maintain and enforce organizational policies, procedures and standards necessary for the integrity of the organization, its assets, personnel and business operations.
Minimum Requirements, Experience, Education, Qualifcations, Skills, Abilites
- Member of the Law Society of BC.
- A combination of industry and firm based experience of 10 years.
- Strong understanding of Canadian and US legal requirements.
- Experience negotiating and managing contracts.
- Government relations experience & delivering presentations to Board of Directors and other senior parties including government entities.
- Experienced representing the organization to internal and external constituents, including but not limited to media, partners and vendors, employee associations and community groups.
- Proven commitment to Owning Safety, both personally and through positive influence on all stakeholders.
- Effective business systems thinker and a good understanding of business process knowledge.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.