Bennett Jones' lawyers have appeared before all levels of courts and administrative tribunals in Canada, bringing to each case a practical and thorough knowledge of litigation, mediation and arbitration strategies, tactics and procedures. Our work has resulted in hundreds of reported decisions from provincial trial and appeal courts, the Federal Court, the Tax Court and the Supreme Court of Canada, and we have significant experience in private arbitrations and mediations including ICC and AAA arbitrations.
As the Knowledge Management Lawyer supporting our Litigation Practice Groups across Canada, the successful candidate will have up-to-date and in-depth technical knowledge of Alberta and Ontario civil procedure. The KM Department supports the exceptional delivery of legal services to our clients by sharing the most efficient, effective and innovative practices and tools across offices. In supporting our Litigation groups, the KM Lawyer will assist in identifying strategic opportunities and in the development and implementation of these services.
- Supervises and engages in the translation of complex KM content into practical and effective know-how and research-related resources for our Litigation lawyers
- Works with lawyers, the KM Group, and other stakeholders to establish legal project management and process improvement initiatives to support and share best practices across the Group
- Plays an active role in the scoping, design, evaluation, training, and roll-out of innovative new KM tools and systems to the Firm
- Works with Partners, Business Development, and the KM Group to identify, develop, and draft high quality and useful client-facing knowledge products and resources
- Understands the business drivers affecting legal demand for significant clients and targets of the Practice Groups to identify business opportunities
- Monitors the legal and regulatory landscape to identify major developments that will impact the Firm’s clients, and participates in the design and delivery of legal training programs to inform our lawyers and clients about these industry trends
- Works with the Litigation Support Teams to ensure the most efficient and effective practices and eDiscovery tools are being utilized across the firm
- Accesses the insights and expertise of the litigation and advocacy groups through knowledge sharing and using tools such as after-action reviews, expertise location, personal networking, and entry/exit interviews
- Provides ongoing coaching to students and lawyers on the use of KM resources and tools to foster collaboration and continuous improvement within the Practice Groups
- At least three years’ experience as a practicing lawyer in an advocacy practice at a national law firm or an in-house legal department
- Called to the Bar in Alberta
- Superior legal and business research skills to provide senior lawyers with clear and authoritative analysis, and excellent legal drafting skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills for face-to-face meetings and email/telephone communication; the ability to deliver presentations and training in an engaging and thought-provoking manner
- Ability to engage partners and associates on both tactical and strategic KM issues, acting as a positive role model to motivate and lead adoption activities
- Maintain and develop in-depth knowledge and expertise of substantive law, our clients' industries and our practice groups to create a reputation for excellence within the Firm
- Demonstrate high professional standards and a service-oriented nature, with a passion for quality work product
- Flexibility to work both collaboratively as part of the KM Group and independently with minimal supervision
- Enthusiastic, with a proactive approach to the application of Knowledge Management that will benefit both our lawyers and their clients
- Inquisitive about the business of law and our clients' businesses and markets
- Proven ability to develop and maintain networked relationships and to be an effective influencer and connector within the KM Group
- Keen to drive change and open to exploring new ways of delivering legal services with the Group
Bennett Jones Services Limited Partnership
4500 Bankers Hall East, 855 - 2nd Street SW
Calgary, AB T2P 4K7
Please note that relatives of current employees are not eligible for consideration.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
All offers of employment are conditional upon the satisfactory verification of a Canadian criminal record check. Determination of the factors that constitute satisfactory verification is within the sole discretion of Bennett Jones.
Bennett Jones thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.