Legal Counsel (2 positions)
Legal Counsel Level 2 / Legal Counsel Level 3
Salary (Effective April 1, 2018 and based on year of call):
Legal Counsel Level 2: $121,030.09 - $156,960.01 annually (years of call: 6-11)
Legal Counsel Level 3: $161,625.82 - $185,603.45 annually (years of call: 12 or greater)
* This position is excluded from union membership.
* An eligibility list may be established.
Ministry of Attorney General, Legal Services Branch (Vancouver) invites applications for two full-time, permanent Legal Counsel positions to advise the Liquor Distribution Branch (“LDB”). The successful candidate will be required to provide technical and strategic legal advice to the LDB regarding corporate and commercial issues ranging from public procurement, commercial leasing, and extensive contract drafting and interpretation. The position will be in the Labour, Employment and Human Rights Group of Legal Services Branch. The position will be based in the downtown Vancouver offices of Legal Services Branch with the majority of work days each week required at LDB offices currently at Broadway and Renfrew.
The LDB is one of the largest distributors and retailers of beverage alcohol in Canada, generating $1.03 billion (2015/16) in net income on annual sales of $3.16 billion. The LDB operates a province-wide, retail/wholesale beverage alcohol business, within a mixed public-private model. The LDB has a workforce of approximately 4,000 full- and part-time employees; operates approximately 198 BC Liquor Stores across the province; operates 2 wholesale customer centres; 2 distribution centres; and has a head office facility in Vancouver. The LDB is a unique government entity that operates with similar independence to a Crown Corporation, but under the direction of a General Manager / Chief Executive Officer.
As publicly announced in December 2017, the LDB has been appointed to become the non-medical cannabis wholesale distributor for British Columbia, once the product is legalized. Accordingly we are seeking experienced legal counsel to assist with the predominately commercial legal work associated with the LDB’s upcoming new role.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Rena.Grewal@gov.bc.ca DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. If you experience technical difficulties submitting your online profile, or for more information about how to create or update your profile, please refer to the “HOW TO APPLY” section below.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as outlined directly below:
* Must be eligible for membership in the Law Society of British Columbia in at least your sixth year of call with at least five years of relevant and recent legal experience.
* Extensive and recent commercial solicitors’ experience in negotiating, drafting, interpreting agreements and completing transactions is required.
* Experience in some or all of the following areas is preferred:
- general procurement including construction tenders and requests for proposals;
- legal issues associated with distribution or, retail;
- legal issues associated with acquisition and management of information technology hardware, software and services;
- commercial leasing;
- research and writing opinions;
- interpretation and application of relevant legislation, trade agreements and policy; and
- briefing senior executives/clients on strategic legal matters.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profiles and below.
The successful candidate will have excellent written and oral communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills including:
- the ability to work independently and as part of a team are essential;
- excellent organizational skills, and the ability to creatively and diplomatically manage files with competing priorities, pressing deadlines and multiple stakeholders;
- ability to quickly identify, analyze and propose solutions to legal issues and provide practical advice on legal and transactional issues in relation to advising the LDB.
IMPORTANT: Where there is a difference between the qualifications reflected in the posting and the Job Profiles, those stated on the job posting will be used for shortlisting and assessment.
A Criminal Records Check will be required.
Cover letter required: YES - A cover letter is required as part of your application. Please indicate your Year of Call in your cover letter.The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume required: YES - Prior to submitting your application for this opportunity, update your resume profile by using the copy and paste function to add your resume. Your resume must provide detailed information about your education and experience including the job related responsibilities and the month(s) and year(s) for your education and for each job in your employment history.