Job Status Full Time Temporary
Approximate End Date for Temporary Job 5/1/2018
Reporting to the Chief Privacy Officer, Corporate Secretary and Senior Counsel, this individual in this position will be working with several of the members of the legal department completing administrative and other corporate commercial work and working with the Assistant Corporate Secretary on various governance matter.
The position requires the candidate to:
- Coordinate and provideof professional administrative support services. Arrange adequate coverage for administrative activities and ensure established protocols and procedures are maintained. Provide guidance to others. Apply excellent business acumen, problem solving, decision making, organizational and time management skills, to screen and prioritize incoming requests/materials, including matters of a confidential and/or sensitive nature.
- Maintain status of departmental priorities and the effective dissemination of information. Coordinate lawyer’s calendar to ensure effective and efficient use of time; arrange meetings, appointments, conferences and travel. Determine meeting preferences and ensure time conflicts are resolved in a mutually agreeable manner. Book meetings, facilities, equipment, record and distribute agendas and minutes. Represent the department in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others.
- Source and compile information, including a variety of financial information, operational statistics and measurements, board reports and other information; determine appropriate manner to collect, manipulate and format information for ease of reference.
- Demonstrate proficiency in a variety of software applications to effectively prepare information including correspondence, reports, presentations, spreadsheets, etc. Develop and maintain effective office record keeping systems, administrative practices and procedures.
- Have the ability to handle simultaneous jobs quickly, accurately and efficiently;
- Have high attention to detail;
- Exercise discretion, sound judgment and confidentiality in communication with the FortisBC group of companies’ business owners and external lawyers, consultants and others;
- Be a quick learner who can work independently with minimal instruction and supervision; and
- Have a positive attitude and ability to resolve conflicts in a professional manner.
The Primary Responsibilities Are
- Performing administrative duties such as:
booking and organizing meetings;
opening files and filing;
making business travel and related arrangements
sharing general office administrative duties with other departments in the FortisBC group of companies;
- Coding and ensuring timely payment of departmental invoices and expenses.
- Preparing and formatting documents such as contracts, procurement packages and correspondence;
Responding to general business owner needs in the FortisBC group of companies; and
- Receiving, maintaining and responding to privacy access requests.
Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 required
- Completion of either a Business Degree/Diploma or Administrative Assistant Certificate from a recognized post-secondary institution with 2-5 years’ experience as an administrative assistant or secretary in a law firm or company, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Strong knowledge of financial and/or legal practices and procedures
- Strong software application skills including SAP, MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Knowledge of the Utility Industry an asset
- Valid BC Drivers License
- Knowledge of company organization, structure, business processes, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with a proven record as a team player
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment, tact and discretion in preparing, disclosing and handling information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature
- Proficient at data entry with an attention to accuracy and speed.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve problems
- Demonstrated ability to interact with all levels of internal and external contacts in a professional, clear and courteous manner in order to represent the interests of others
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and complete assignments in a manner that optimizes departmental effectiveness
- Demonstrated ability to work within demanding work schedules including tight timeframes
Additional Information Making safety our #1 priority
At FortisBC, safety is at the core of everything we do and we strive to reach for zero injuries and incidents, every day. Our employees are each an example of this commitment, at work, at home, and in the communities we serve.