Type of position: permanent and contract (12-months)
CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) helps Canadians meet their housing needs. As Canada’s authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations.
Bring your legal expertise in commercial real estate or project financing to these Legal Counsel positions.
As a member of the Legal Services team, you will provide a full range of professional, specialized legal services. You will provide legal review, advice, research and consultation with respect to legal matters and files for your assigned client group. You will establish and maintain positive on-going relationships with clients in the provision of legal services under tight deadlines and turnaround times.
These full-time positions provide an exceptional opportunity for a result driven lawyer with strong attention to detail and relationship building skills to join Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), an organization where you are valued and respected, recognized for your contributions and that is committed to providing a work environment where you are inspired to make a difference.
This job competition will be used to staff various positions which have different salary ranges. The position of Senior Counsel, has a salary range of $110,890 - $138,606 (level 12). The position of Counsel has a salary range of $96,512 - $120,640 (level 11). The experience requirements for each positon are listed below.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Primarily providing transactional advice and legal support for loans, contributions and for mortgage loan insurance across Canada.
- Identifying legal issues, requirements and risks as well as working with clients to develop strategies or approaches for managing these risks and achieving business objectives taking into account legal and business implications.
- Providing advice and counselling on legal implications and requirements as well as the legal risks related to a range of policy, program and operational matters.
- Providing expert legal advice to clients, to support them in their decision making and the management of their business by analyzing, reviewing and interpreting a wide range of documents with legal implications including agreements, management submissions as well as broad policy, program and operational documentation.
- Providing expert legal advice to clients that are negotiating contracts, agreements or other legal matters and/or at the client's request participating in the negotiations.
- Guiding, coordinating and instructing outside legal counsel when retained and reviewing opinions of outside legal counsel where appropriate.
- Analyzing and interpreting various broad legal issues and jurisprudential developments across many jurisdictions and using specialized knowledge to assess their impact.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values.
- Member of the Bar in good standing in a common law and/or civil law province with experience working as a Lawyer in a financial institution, large private or public sector organization, or law firm. A minimum of four years of experience for the Counsel position (level 11) and ten years of experience for the Senior Counsel position (level 12).
- Demonstrated experience providing a broad range of legal services in areas relating to real estate, mortgage financing and project finance.
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact and judgement in order to liaise with clients.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal (including open-mindedness and ability to listen well).
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to interpret and analyze varied complex matters and to explain them to clients in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills including the ability to be flexible, creative and innovative to ensure responsiveness to client's needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated legal skills necessary to negotiate, draft appropriate documentation and close large secured lending transactions.
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking / Communication (Presenting and Influencing) / Commitment to Official Languages (required for all Bilingual positions) / Efficiency / Flexibility / Focus on Results / Forward/Strategic Thinking / Relationship Building / Teamwork
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Comprehensive flex benefit program – for permanent employees
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan (starting January 1, 2018) – for permanent employees
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Career Growth Opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
This job posting will be active until 11:59 pm EST on Sunday, December 10, 2017, however, the competition may remain active until a successful candidate has been chosen.
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- This position requires bilingualism in English and French, with the ability to write, read, understand and speak in your second official language at an intermediate level. Candidates who do not currently have valid language test results recognised by CMHC will be required to take a language test. https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/corp/ca/upload/guide-second-laguage-proficiency-tests.pdf
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in advance.
- Candidates must be eligible for Secret Clearance.
- Candidates must meet the language requirements of the permanent position(s). Candidates who do not currently have valid language test results recognised by CMHC will be required to take a language test. For the contract positions, candidates who do not meet the language requirement of the position may still be considered.
- Internal applicants: If applying for a temporary assignment (contract), please ensure that your Manager approves your application prior to submission.
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.
- All applications submitted to this competition will be kept for a six (6) month period and may be considered for future related vacancies at CMHC.
- Please check this opportunity in French by copying the link below:
Conseiller juridique et conseillerjuridique principal – Biens immobiliers et financement
Requisition number: 7228