Under the direction of the General Counsel, the Legal Counsel ensures the provision of legal services and advice to the Management and staff focusing principally on commercial transactions involving the corporation and its subsidiaries.
The Legal Counsel is responsible for and acts as a leader and change agent to undertake the following:
· Negotiate, co-ordinate, draft and review commercial agreements and other transactions
· Research and provide advice and opinions on legal issues affecting the company and its subsidiaries
· Advise on corporate issues, including customer, shareholder and stakeholder relationships
· Provide advice on and respond to access to information requests and privacy complaints
· Liaise with, assist and oversee services provided by external counsel
· Act decisively to translate organizational and departmental strategies into concrete action plans
· Direct activities towards timely completion, adjust priorities or resources as required
· Bring excellence to internal or external clients by focusing efforts on discovering and meeting needs
· Conduct research using electronic and paper resources
· Seek and build internal/external relationships, collaborations and services with or for clients to advance business relationships as well as knowledge, innovation and continuous improvement
· A Bachelor of Law (LL.B.) or Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree
· Called to the Bar of Ontario and licenced to practice law in the Province of Ontario
· A minimum of 5 years’ experience in commercial law practice involving the negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements
· Experience in dealing with competitive solicitation processes for the procurement of goods and services
· Experience with drafting and negotiating construction contracts
· Experience in utility service areas considered an asset
· Experience in the acquisition of business assets, including the conduct of due diligence reviews of documentation considered an asset
· English essential, both oral and written; Bilingual (English/French) considered an asset
· Strong computer skills; proficient with Microsoft Office Suite of products
This is a management group opportunity and salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
If this sounds like the position you’ve been waiting for, please forward your cover letter and resume (merged into one document), quoting Competition Number 17-068 in the subject line to the Talent Attraction and Acquisition team in Human Resources, or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 17, 2017.