BLG is recruiting a Service Delivery Lawyer to quarterback the design, development, implementation, delivery and user-adoption of lawyer-facing and client-facing legal innovation projects.
The successful candidate will be held accountable for the delivery of legal innovation solutions, and have several strategic responsibilities, namely:
- Owning, reporting on, delivering and driving implementation and user adoption of the portfolio of projects dealing with legal innovation for the practices and clients
- Coordinating with project sponsors, including: the Group Heads for Business Law and Litigation; the IP National Practice Group Leader; the Clients Partner; the Chief Client Officer; and Practice Mangers for all Practice Groups
- Coordinating with Legal Project Managers (who will project manage the projects) and the Knowledge and Innovation Lawyers (who will identify opportunities and drive user adoption in the Practice Groups and rollout to Clients)
- Developing ongoing strategic relationships with third parties including LPOs, technology startups, universities and innovation hubs
The Service Delivery Lawyer will report into the National Director of Knowledge and Innovation, with dotted line reporting to: the Group Heads for Business Law and Litigation; the IP National Practice Group Leader; the Practice Managers; the Clients Partner; the Chief Client Officer; the Chief Operating Officer; and Chair of the Innovation Thought Leadership Committee.
Reporting into the Service Delivery Lawyer will be innovation Business Analysts and developers, and the successful candidate will also manage key relationships with third parties engaged with BLG on innovation projects (e.g., vendors).
They will also coordinate the efforts of the Knowledge and Innovation Lawyers and Legal Project Managers in the context of designing, developing and delivering legal innovation projects.
The ideal candidate will have experience in both project implementation and portfolio management in a law firm.
The successful candidate will be a lawyer in a Canadian jurisdiction, with a minimum of 7 years of experience in: legal practice, legal practice management, project management or Knowledge Management.
Given that this is a National role, moderate travel will be required.
Specific Areas Of Responsibilities
The Service Delivery Lawyer will be responsible for the end-to-end design, development, delivery and user-adoption of legal service delivery solutions benefitting the practices and Clients.
- Portfolio of Practice and Client Innovation Projects
- Taking projects from the ideas phase through required approvals and stakeholder engagement phases
- Developing project plans with the assistance of the Legal Project Manager and obtaining required approvals
- Overseeing and reporting on project status and execution against project plans
- Ensuring that the projects are delivered
- Practice Group Legal Innovation Projects
- Coordinating the identification of opportunities for practice innovation projects
- Designing, and implementing lawyer-facing legal process improvement projects
- Driving adoption of the new solutions by Practice Groups
- Client Legal Innovation Projects
- Coordinating the identification of opportunities for Client-facing innovation projects
- Designing and implementing client-facing legal process improvement projects
- Delivering and assisting with the rollout of Client solutions
- Conducting after action reviews of projects
- Relationships with Third Parties
- Identifying third parties with whom to develop strategic relationships
- Initiating and developing those relationships
- Putting in place the required documentation (e.g., NDAs) and processes to engage the third parties as needed in the context of a practice or client innovation project
- Stakeholder Engagement
- In the context of designing and delivering legal innovation projects, engaging the Legal Project Manager (who will project manage projects) and Knowledge and Innovation Lawyers (who will drive user adoption in the Practice Groups or rollout with Clients)
- Engaging with key stakeholders involved in the direction or implementation of legal innovation projects, including: Group Heads, National Practice Group Leaders, Business Development Practice Group Leaders, other members of the Business Development team, members of the Talent team, members of the Communications team, and others as required.
Other Duties As Required.
The successful candidate will be discreet, high-energy, agile-minded, proactive, a direct communicator, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of BLG.
- Have a law degree, current bar admission in a Canadian jurisdiction and 7 years of work experience in practice, or practice support (including Practice Support Lawyer), knowledge management or general management
- Six Sigma, Lean or PMP training is an asset
- Strong understanding of, and interest in, the ongoing tech and digital revolution and its impact on the legal sector and its clients including a fluency and comfort with technology, with willingness to learn and train others on new platforms and systems
- High degree of competence in Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Visio for Legal Process mapping and an understanding of databases and big data analysis
- Previous project portfolio management experience within a consultancy, professional services firm and/or legal practice with a strong track record of implementation
- Bilingualism in French is considered an asset, but is not essential
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to build credibility and strong relationships with stakeholders
- Focus on collaborative working and on internal efficiency
- Effectively prioritize work and manage own time with a highly developed organizational ability
- Be self-initiating and take a proactive approach towards projects, seek direction and advice as needed but also be willing and able to take ownership of tasks and their progress independently
- Be highly responsive; particularly with regards to requests for work product, expertise, training materials
- Have the ability to quickly understand and effectively leverage available resources
- Be able to listen to the needs of others and craft solutions in an iterative fashion, while managing scope
- Be able to drive change within an organization
- Work well within a team setting and effectively in a large, matrix organizational structure with multiple reporting lines to accomplish organizational goals
- Be able to understand and promote connections between other practices and/or industry groups, and other Firm departments
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from diverse candidates.
If you know someone who would be interested in joining our team, please invite them to send their cover letter, résumé, and list of references by October 27, 2017, in confidence to Sindy Peixoto, National Head of Professional Recruiting at SPeixoto@blg.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants with disabilities may notify us of any accommodations needed to support your participation in the recruitment processes.