As a Paralegal, you will be responsible for managing a significant number of real estate transaction files and will perform a variety of exacting tasks involving the exercise of independent and sound judgment. Primary duties include:
- Draft and prepare real estate agreements and expropriation documents.
- Participate in the drafting of standard form agreements and develop efficient processes.
- Prepare transaction related correspondence and other real estate documents, including closing reports to client business units.
- Conduct due diligence including title searches, obtaining and reviewing encumbrances and instruments, corporate searches and personal property registry searches.
- Request, receive and disperse closing funds and maintain appropriate accounting records.
- Liaise with client business units to obtain instructions, to obtain necessary corporate approval, circulate agreements and documentation for execution and registration, and for all matters relating to the acquisition, disposition, lease or license of City lands.
- Negotiate, receive and respond to inquiries from other law firms.
- Receive and respond to inquiries from The City Solicitor and General Counsel or other City business units related to real estate matters.
- Maintain file management systems and ensure files are current and promptly complete all filing.
- Correspond with and coordinate the service documents with process servers.
- Maintain an accurate diary system, service documents and tracking all registered mail.
- Track timelines for documents required to be prepared, timing of service of documents and next steps.
- A completed 2 year certificate or diploma in legal studies with a minimum 1 year relevant legal experience; OR a completed 1 year certificate or diploma in legal studies with a minimum of 3 years relevant legal experience; OR a High School diploma or equivalency (e.g. GED) plus job related course work in real estate law and a minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience.
- Excellent word processing skills in a Windows environment are also required.
- Legal experience working in real estate and/or expropriation will be considered an asset.
- Experience with SPIN II, ProLaw, Adobe and Microsoft Excel will be considered as assets.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, plus independent judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision are required.
- The ability to handle a high volume workload, meet tight timelines and work well in a team environment.
- Accuracy and attention to detail are essential.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.