Headquartered in Calgary, with offices in Edmonton, Red Deer and Lethbridge, AltaLink is Alberta's largest electricity transmission provider. Owned by Berkshire Hathaway Energy, AltaLink is part of a global group of companies that delivers sustainable electricity and utility services to customers worldwide. At AltaLink, we are doing everything in our power to attract and keep the best and brightest to expand our team of top-notch professionals. We are proud of our collaborative culture, expertise and record of safety and operational excellence. We are a best-in-class Canadian organization, proudly named one of Canada’s 10 most admired corporate cultures and designated as a Sustainable Electricity CompanyTM. We offer work with meaning, incredible opportunities for development, work life balance and opportunities to contribute to your community. Join our growing team. AltaLink is looking to hire a lawyer with regulatory or energy experience. This individual will work in a challenging environment and will play a key role in providing legal and business advice on regulatory matters. This role, within the Regulatory Group, will provide support for regulatory applications and hearings for both rates and facilities. This role requires the ability to work successfully with other project and business team members as both a team member and as a leader. The role includes directing external legal counsel, ensuring applications meet all regulatory requirements, and directing interlocutory and hearing processes.
- Attendance at regulatory hearings within Alberta.
- Advise on a range of regulatory and other legal matters.
- Draft regulatory applications and other regulatory filings.
- Advise clients of the legal and business implications of regulatory and/or legal approaches, anticipating legal and regulatory concerns and devising strategies to resolve them.
- Liaise with lawyers in the department and/or external counsel to ensure a coordinated input of legal advice to the clients.
- Legal research to support applications or other legal matters.
- Work closely with other specialists; e.g. executive, project management, operations, to ensure that an excellent level of service is provided to clients.
- A license to practice law in Alberta
- A university degree (LLB; JD) in law and member of a provincial or state bar
- 1-5 years of related legal experience
- An understanding of regulatory or energy law is preferred
- Proven ability/experience in the above noted responsibilities.
- Experience of corporate law is an asset
- Experience of energy projects and regulation is preferred
- Experience in leading regulatory direction and providing solid advice within a team setting on complex projects and/or filings
- A strong business perspective
- Ability to build relationships in across functional groups
- Demonstrated initiative and confidence
- Intellectual rigor, demonstrated quantitative and analytical skills
- Ability to provide practical legal advice and risk assessment
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work as a team player
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven track record of good attendance and job performance
- Ability to work under pressure and in a variety of environments
- Proven track record of good performance and attendance. NOTE:
- AltaLink employees should be aware that we may contact your manager during the selection process.
- Please note some positions may require job specific assessments, regular criminal record checks, additional AltaLink training, medicals and annual drivers abstracts.
- Please contact Hiring Manager or Recruiter for further clarification if required.
Only the candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.