September 18, 2017
October 13, 2017
Calgary; Montréal; Ottawa; Toronto; Vancouver
Knowledge and Innovation Vision
Leveraging knowledge, legal process improvement and technology to drive innovative legal service delivery models for BLG practices and clients.
Purpose of Role
BLG is recruiting a Knowledge and Innovation Lawyer to support the Business Law Practice Groups by driving innovation in legal service delivery.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and implementing multiple, diverse innovation projects. These projects will leverage various tools and methodologies (e.g., legal process improvement, legal project management, alternative pricing arrangements, technology solutions, knowledge management, alternative sourcing and staffing models, analytics, etc.).
The successful candidate will be embedded in the Business Law Practice Groups and have three key responsibilities:
- Owning the design and implementation of the innovation projects for the Business Law Practice Groups
- Owning the Practice Groups' knowledge management program
- Acting as an innovation thought leader
The Knowledge and Innovation Lawyer will report into the National Director of Knowledge and Innovation.
They will have dotted lines to: the Group Heads, the Chief Practice Managers, and the Service Delivery Lawyer (responsible for the end-to-end innovation project development processes and portfolio).
The ideal candidate will have experience in project implementation and driving adoption of innovative tools and methodologies among lawyers.
The successful candidate should be a lawyer in a Canadian jurisdiction, with a minimum of 5 to 7 years of practice, practice management, project management or knowledge management experience.
This is a National level role and moderate travel may be required.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
Key Responsibilities Include
Implementing the Practice Group's Innovation Projects
- Working with practicing lawyers and members of the Business Development team to identify both practice-facing and client-facing opportunities for legal service delivery innovation
- Developing and documenting business cases for new practice-facing and client-facing innovation projects
- Documenting old and developing new legal processes that incorporate the innovations
- Implementing those projects in collaboration with the lawyers, Legal Project Manager(s) and other members of the Knowledge an Innovation Team, the IT team, the Business Development Team, and others as required
- Driving adoption of all innovations and transformations within the Practice Groups, once the innovation is developed, by communicating with and training users and by acting as the go-to resource for ongoing support (e.g., with technology applications, pricing arrangements and tools, legal project management methods and tools, process or workflow changes, big data and analytics projects, etc.)
- Responding to queries from Practice Groups, supporting lawyers, acting as a front-end application specialist and an expert in relevant legal innovations
Driving the Practice Group's Knowledge Management Program
- Driving use of the Firm's knowledge assets, including subscription knowledge management services
- Developing or sourcing content, where required and managing that content (e.g., precedents, templates, checklists, other practice support tools)
- Owning the Practice Group's content on the Firm's intranet and driving user adoption
Acting as an Innovation Thought Leader
- Continuously monitoring industry developments in legal innovation
- Keeping Firm leadership apprised of developments
- Assessing whether they are viable for BLG
The successful candidate will be high-energy, agile-minded, proactive, a direct communicator, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of BLG.
- Have a law degree, current bar admission in a Canadian jurisdiction and at least 5-7 years of work experience in project management, practice, practice support (including as a Practice Support Lawyer), knowledge management or general management
- Six Sigma, Lean or PMP training is an asset
- Excellent research, document drafting and writing skills
- Good knowledge of substantive law, especially in relation to Business Law
- Experience in and understanding of knowledge and innovation strategies and their implementation
- Strong understanding of, and interest in, the ongoing tech and digital revolution and its impact on the legal practice and clients, including a comfort with technology and a willingness to learn and train others on new platforms and systems
- High degree of competence in Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Visio for Legal Process mapping and an understanding of databases and big data analysis
- Previous legal project management experience within a consultancy, professional services firm and/or legal practice with a strong track record of implementation
- Bilingualism in French is considered an asset, but is not essential
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to build credibility and strong relationships with stakeholders
- Focus on collaborative working and on internal efficiency
- Effectively prioritize work and manage own time with a highly developed organizational ability
- Be self-initiating and take a proactive approach towards projects, seek direction and advice as needed but also be willing and able to take ownership of tasks and their progress independently
- Be highly responsive; particularly with regards to requests for work product, expertise, training materials
- Have the ability to quickly understand and effectively leverage available resources
- Be able to listen to the needs of others and craft solutions in an iterative fashion, while managing scope
- Be able to drive change within an organization
- Work well within a team setting and effectively in a large, matrix organizational structure with multiple reporting lines to accomplish organizational goals
- Be able to understand and promote connections between other practices and/or industry groups, and other Firm departments
BLG is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from diverse candidates.
If You Know Someone Who Would Be Interested In Joining Our Team, Please Invite Them To Send Their Cover Letter, Résumé, And List Of References By October 13, 2017, In Confidence To
National Head of Professional Recruiting
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
1000 De La Gauchetière Street West, Suite 900
Montréal, Québec H3B 5H4
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants with disabilities may notify us of any accommodations needed to support your participation in the recruitment processes.
BLG is an integrated national law firm that provides a broad range of legal services, with more than 700 lawyers, intellectual property agents and other professionals working in five major Canadian cities.
BLG is committed to helping our professionals reach the next level in their careers. Our comprehensive approach to professional development has received widespread recognition.
Everyone at BLG is required to carry out the duties of their role while upholding the important principles of our Respectful Workplace Policy, and treating everyone with respect, regardless of position.
- Please note that relatives of current BLG employees and Partners are not eligible for consideration.