Senior Legal Counsel, Labour & Employment Law Corporate Services, Legal Services Do you have a passion for providing creative, innovative and forward thinking legal solutions ? Are you customer focused and thrive in a team where collaboration , partnership and passion to excel are celebrated? The role........
Key member of the Legal Services Team, and provides high quality and effective legal advice and representation to the management and staff of the Region of Peel and related boards and agencies. Working closely with the Human Resources Division, this position will lead the Region’s collective bargaining negotiations involving 4 unions and 14 separate collective agreements. This position also provides timely and strategic legal advice and representation in respect of all employment and labour related matters along with some appearances before relevant administrative tribunals and courts.
- Act as chief negotiator and principal legal counsel in respect of all matters relating to collective bargaining and labour law. Develops bargaining strategies in conjunction with partners to seek a bargaining mandate from council.
- Provide concise legal and practical advice, with a service oriented focus, on a range of matters to the CAO, Executive Management, the Human Resources Division, and other staff, with the view to providing guidance, and avoiding litigation and legal conflicts;
- Represent the Region in litigation at all levels, and matters before administrative tribunals and courts, such as labour arbitrations, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, the Ontario Labour Relations Board, and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal;
- Assist in the development of proactive strategies that help to protect the interests of the Region and reduce exposure to legal risks; and
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Corporate Services Department and the Legal Services Division business and administrative goals and plans.
- Bachelor of Laws degree or equivalent
- Must be a member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC)
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience as a practicing labour and employment lawyer or equivalent
- Direct experience in collective bargaining including experience as chief negotiator
- Excellent communication and drafting skills, including the ability to communicate well to non-lawyer staff colleagues in a supportive manner
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with union representatives
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership and work independently
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated sound judgement, tact and patience
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and to maintain composure under pressure
- Aptitude and motivation for continuous learning and a sense of personal responsibility to achieve progress are essential
Location: 10 Peel Centre Drive, Brampton
Hours of work: 8:30am-4:30pm; Monday to Friday
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply online by end of day October 15, 201