Reporting to the Commissioner of Community Services, you will be responsible for managing and providing technical expertise as well as strategic, administrative and financial direction to staff of the By-law, Licensing, Parking Control and Sign Enforcement sections including Animal Services.
- Provides strategic direction with regards the alignment of divisional goals and objectives to the overall strategic planning initiatives of the Department and the Town
- Leads the implementation of the Town's regulatory services philosophy and framework
- Leads and directs all initiatives and activities pertaining to education, awareness and community outreach
- Provides advice and recommendations to the Commissioner of Community Services, CAO and Council on matters pertaining to the enforcement of the Bylaw regulatory regime
- Identifies emerging trends, opportunities and risks to the Corporation
- Creates, reviews and updates the Town's by-laws
- Develops administrative policies and procedures associated with Bylaw and Licensing
- Ensures directions from Council and/or Senior management are implemented and monitored
- Ensures customer service meets requirements of the community
- Ensures compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Represents the Town on legal disputes concerning Municipal Bylaws.
- Manages Human Resources for the division including job evaluation, staffing, staff supervision, performance management, staff training and development, succession planning, labour relations and health & safety
- Develops and administers Divisional business plan and operational and capital budgets
- Develops and implements policies associated with Bylaw related Fines & Fees
- Authorizes and reviews refunds, cancellations of permits and revocations.
- Oversees continuous improvement systems and processes for the division
- Represents the Division on departmental/corporate committees and external committees involving other levels of government and planning agencies
- Liaise with other levels of government, the development and construction industry and the public
- Attends Council meetings, public meetings and events and manages media interactions
- Acting Commissioner on a rotational basis in Commissioner’s absence
Key Attributes Include
Your University Degree in Public Administration, Law Enforcement, Business Administration or suitable equivalent will be complimented by 10 years or more of progressive leadership experience in a municipal enforcement environment. Certification as a Property Standards Officer will be an asset.
- Expert technical and legal knowledge in the By-law, Licensing and Enforcement field
- Experience with budget forecasting and control
- Accomplished in strategic planning, problem-solving, issues management and decision-making
- Excellent analytical, administrative, organizational, and written/oral communication skills
- Proven ability to think creatively and drive innovative change.
- Experience working with senior staff and Council in a municipal setting
- Relationship building skills, including team building, conflict resolution, negotiation, mediation and facilitation and dispute resolution
- Demonstrated leadership and people development skills
- Personal management skills including interpersonal versatility, self-motivation, self-discipline, a strong work ethic, initiative, innovation, perseverance, integrity and political acumen
- Ability to deal effectively with tact, courtesy, discretion and diplomacy with all levels of staff and the public.
- Ability to navigate between regulator and enabler in alignment with Town’s risk management practices
- You demonstrate the Town’s corporate values of service, collaboration, care, and courage.
You must possess a valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's License, and have access to a vehicle for use on corporate business (mileage compensated). You will be required to provide proof of vehicle insurance upon hire as well as a satisfactory current driver’s abstract from the MTO.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The Town of Richmond Hill is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.