This opportunity will provide legal secretarial support to one or more lawyers. Maintain a close and highly responsive relationship to the day-to-day activities of the Lawyer(s).
- Prepare through transcription of written or recorded documents, standard legal documents i.e. correspondence, factums, motions, summonses, etc.
- Drafts standard legal documents, correspondence and pleadings for review by lawyer(s). Edits grammar, punctuation and spelling as needed.
- Exercises initiative and judgment in Lawyer’s absence, i.e. negotiates extensions of time. Prioritizes and responds to diverse incoming communications.
- Provide client service to both internal and external clients.
- Manages Lawyer's calendar i.e., schedules appointments, coordinates appearances.
- Answer a wide variety of telephone inquiries based on knowledge of case. Responds to inquiries exercising good judgment and discretion.
- Respond to written or telephone inquiries with a standard letter. Composes and prepares routine inquiries.
- Establish, maintain and when necessary, revises lawyer’s files.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of standard office precedents and procedures.
- Performs additional duties as requested such as:
- Arranges medical exams.
- Reception relief.
- Maintains lists of witnesses, Subpoenas, fees, etc.
- Requests fees for payment from Claims department.
- Participates in arranging lawyer’s files for easy access during trials
- Informs witnesses of scheduled court appearances.
- Maintains Law Library.
- And other miscellaneous duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Adhere to appropriate ethics of the role; follows and complies with company policies and methodologies.
- Ensure information is provided and shared with appropriate individuals in a timely fashion.
- General administrative duties including: photocopying, filing, mail, etc.
- Responsible for answering questions or providing guidance for less experienced legal assistants.
- College diploma in legal secretarial or law clerk and 3+ years of litigation experience
- Ability to proof and edit legal documents
- You are a motivated self-starter with capability to work productively under pressure
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and client service skills, professional and positive demeanour
- Superior organization and priority setting skills, strong work ethic and ability to multi-task
- Ability to be conceptual and a creative problem solving skills
- Intermediate MS Office skills; knowledge of standard office equipment and word processing
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.