Each and every day 11,000 Sienna Senior Living team members wake up with a common sense of purpose: to enrich the lives of residents, a desire that in turn enriches their own lives. Our team members know they’ve made a difference at the end of each day; they know their actions have helped others feel better than they thought possible.
Corporate Legal Counsel – one-year contract (maternity leave support starting November 2017) at Sienna Senior Living (the “Company”). Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer and supporting the senior executive team, you will work as part of a public company cross-functional team to provide practical, business-oriented legal advice on a variety of matters and to support the execution of the Company’s strategic direction and special projects.
• Provide comprehensive, accurate and practical advice and support regarding various legal and regulatory matters, including corporate/commercial, real estate, regulatory and privacy, having regard to public company status and including as it relates to sophisticated transactional activities (due diligence investigations, acquisitions, divestitures, financings, capitalization transactions and public offerings, etc.).
• Act as a primary legal resource to the senior executive team and participate in the execution and achievement of the Company’s growth strategy.
• Support the Company’s enterprise risk management strategy.
• Monitor and keep abreast of legal developments and legislative developments that may impact business and Company goals.
• Operational support for commercial disputes, litigation and legislative changes, as well as integration of acquired businesses.
• Draft and/or oversee a diverse range of transactional and commercial agreements, including letters of intent, tenancy agreements, contractor agreements, services agreements, supplier agreements and purchase and sale agreements.
• Support ongoing corporate governance to meet or exceed industry and regulatory standards, and coordinate and assist with the development and revision of Company policies and charters to ensure corporate compliance.
• Interim corporate secretary duties, including quarterly board of director and committee meeting minutes, and oversight of corporate records.
• Oversee and manage external counsel to optimize external expertise as required, including providing instructions in the preparation of legal documents for transactional activities.
SPECIFIC PUBLIC COMPANY EXPECTATIONS:
• Monitor and ensure compliance with securities regulation, including public company reporting and filing requirements, and continuous disclosure obligations.
• Responsibility for the Company’s annual and continuous disclosure public company materials, including drafting management information circular for annual shareholders’ meeting, annual information form, and press releases.
• Responsibility for assisting with the preparation of quarterly and annual MD&A materials.
• Respond to questions and comment letters from securities regulators and TSE.
• Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada.
• At least 6 years of experience working in corporate securities and mergers and acquisitions, in private practice or in-house position, with a strong understanding of corporate/commercial law.
• Experience with regulated sectors, real estate transactions and privacy legislation compliance.
• Ability to exercise independent judgment and ethical decision-making with a minimal amount of supervision.
• Flexible and open to constant change and ability to work under pressure with strong attention to detail, effectively multi-talk and adherence to competing deadlines.
• Effective verbal and written English communication skills essential.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005, upon request, support will be provided for accommodations throughout the recruitment process.
Who We Are
Our more than 11,000 dedicated team members are passionate about caring for older people and are united by a belief in the warmth of human connection. We are one of Canada’s largest owners and operators of seniors’ living, with 54 high-quality seniors’ residences in Ontario and British Columbia comprising independent living, assisted living, long-term care and specialized programs and services for seniors.
Our aim is to consistently create a positive resident experience, along with a high-performing team and workplace culture that are driven by shared values and a commitment to innovation and excellence. As leaders in the sector, we leverage technology and best practices to constantly set new benchmarks for quality. At the same time, we never lose sight of our vision—to awaken our communities to the positive possibilities of life’s next chapters.
Sienna Senior Living is a publicly traded company on the Toronto Stock