This position is located in Toronto!
The Senior Advisor, Legal Affairs, ensures compliance with legislation and the regulations that govern the Bank and its subsidiaries, by providing the required legal support for current files.
- Issue opinions regarding various aspects of law and recommendations for ensuring the development and protection of the Bank and its subsidiaries in complex files.
- Provide legal support for all sectors of the Bank and its subsidiaries, regarding files of medium to high complexity or with a medium to high impact on the operations of the Bank and its subsidiaries.
- Serve as an expert for managers by providing legal advice.
- Intervene in files with an impact on the operations and transactions of the Bank and its subsidiaries, including litigation under $200,000.
- May be called on to support higher level legal advisors regarding litigation over $200,000.
- Advise the business lines regarding the compiling of internal files in preparation for litigation.
- Play a role in managing files involving the Bank and its subsidiaries and external lawyers.
- Prepare various legal reports and documents in compliance with current standards.
- Analyse, interpret and revise various legal reports and documents, including legal procedures, in order to protect the rights of the Bank and its subsidiaries.
- Analyse and negotiate contracts in order to protect the Bank and its subsidiaries.
- Review contracts and documents of the Bank and its subsidiaries in order to ensure compliance with the legislation, regulations and policies that govern the Bank and its subsidiaries, as well as business objectives.
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations by applying or circulating legal provisions in an appropriate way.
- Foster communication with internal and external stakeholders.
- Supervise the work of lower level legal advisors, as required.
- Participate in internal and external committees and activities, and represent the Bank in dealings with various organizations and stakeholders.
- Participate actively in various projects and assignments with a potential impact on the profitability and efficiency of the Bank and its subsidiaries.
- Participate in the deployment and management of current legislation and the policies, programs and procedures of the Bank and its subsidiaries.
- Keep updated on current legislation and the Bank's policies, programs and procedures.
- Issue recommendations and propose solutions for improving the operations of his or her unit.
- Perform all similar or general tasks requested by his or her superior or required by the job.
- University education in an appropriate field and at least six years of relevant experience
- Called to the bar
- Fluency in English and French
- Ability to analyse and summarize
- Ability to devise solutions
- Communication skills
- Listening skills and tact