The City of Markham is a dynamic and change-oriented leader among Canadian municipalities. The recipient of multiple environmental awards, we are recognized for our innovative sustainability and urban planning initiatives as much as for our fiscal accountability. More than 320,000 residents call Markham home and benefit from our rich heritage, culturally diverse environment, vibrant local economy and focus on quality of life. Join us and make a difference!
The Real Estate Law Clerk is responsible for completing all aspects of real estate acquisition, disposition and lease transactions under the supervision of the Assistant City Solicitor responsible for real estate. As a member of the Legal Services Administrative Support team, this position will also provide administrative support to solicitors and back-up support to the administrative assistants and clerks within the Legal Services Department and the Manager Real Property on an as-needed basis.
- Complete all aspects of a real estate transactions including, without limitation, the preparation of closing agendas, title and off-title searching, keeping track of critical dates, preparing requisition letters, drafting closing documents and closing or terminating the transaction.
- Provide assistance to other administrative assistants on preparing documents for registration in Teraview
- Provide administrative assistance to the City Solicitor and the Assistant City Solicitor responsible for real estate in the Legal Services Department including filing, photocopying, managing calendars, booking meetings and drafting general correspondence.
- Provide back-up administrative support to other lawyers and administrative staff within the Legal Services Department and the Manager of Real Property, including assisting with administering development agreements on an as-needed basis.
- Occasionally draft staff reports pertaining to real property matters, including, without limitation, reports to declare lands surplus to municipal purposes and reporting out to the public of completed real estate transactions.
- Respond to inquiries relating to real property and developments matters from other City departments and external sources, including responding to requests for title searches from other City departments.
- Expected to gain experience (cross training) in administering development agreements by learning from colleagues in the department
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENT SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to work independently and exercise responsibility for efficient carriage of real estate acquisition and disposition files from start to finish, under supervision of Assistant City Solicitor.
- Resourcefulness and problem solving skills is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to build relationships with members of department and internal staff at the City.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced, complex and demanding political environment.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism with good judgment and the ability to deal with highly sensitive issues with confidentiality, tact and discretion.
- Well developed computer skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and excellent keyboarding capability.
- Must possess a positive outlook and have a desire to learn new skills and a willingness to adapt existing skills to the needs of the department.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Successful completion of a community college diploma in a Law Clerk or related program.
- 5 years or more experience as a commercial real estate law clerk.
- Extensive knowledge of how to complete commercial acquisitions and dispositions of real property, including fee simple interests and easements.
- Extensive knowledge of Teraview and conveyancing.
- Experience in preparing documents in connection with municipal subdivision and site plan control approval an asset.
For more information and to apply online by June 25, 2017, please visit our website at markham.ca/jobs.
We are committed to inclusive employment practices.