Job Description Summary:
PayPal is one of the leading global payments companies in the world. Initially conceived and designed for web payments, PayPal’s mobile and point of sale solutions have altered the payments landscape by blurring the lines between e-commerce and traditional brick and mortar commerce. PayPal’s innovative technology and approaches to payments, coupled with an increasingly complex and demanding legal and regulatory environment, provide robust career opportunities for attorneys motivated and driven by creative clients and a fast paced, cutting edge culture. PayPal is seeking a high calibre, experienced and energetic lawyer, with experience in financial services regulation and technology to join our Canadian Legal team. Reporting to the Head of Legal – PayPal Canada, the role will work closely and partner with leaders in our product team, and provide legal and regulatory guidance as the product team develops, implements and updates PayPal’s products and services.
The successful candidate will have the specific qualifications and experience:
• 4-7 or more years of experience practicing either in-house (or in an equivalent setting) or at a reputable law firm, with at least 2 years of those years focused on either payments law, the FinTech space, or financial services regulatory analysis.
• Ability to provide timely, concise and business-focused legal advice on payments law, including: AML/ATF for money services businesses; Code of Conduct for the Credit & Debit Industry; CASL; federal and provincial privacy and consumer protection laws; consumer and business lending laws and new rules; enforcement actions and other guidance from regulatory agencies, including FINTRAC, the FCAC, the CRTC and the OPC.
• Ability to provide legal and regulatory guidance on the design and modification of products, proactively identify associated risks and recommend mitigation strategies, review product user experiences to ensure legal compliance and proper disclosures, and help document guidance for consumption by members of both the legal and product teams.
• Familiarity with, and strong interest in, PayPal, mobile and alternative payments, emerging payments technology and the payments industry.
• Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and to tolerate change and ambiguity.
• Ability and drive to take ownership of projects and tasks which, in many cases, will be matters of first impression.
• Comfortable with gray areas and interpreting and applying the law in unsettled contexts.
• Confident self-starter with strong interpersonal and organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively provide sound legal advice, exercise good business judgment, work well with other attorneys, senior management and cross functional stakeholders, and implement policies and processes.
• Openness to adapting his/her practice in response to the changing landscape of the industry.
• Facilitate a team-based approach to subject matter management and knowledge sharing, and comfort with a flexible, agile environment that emphasizes collaboration and team performance over management hierarchy. The successful candidate will enthusiastically partner with PayPal legal colleagues across our global organization.
• Creative thinker with strong problem solving skills and the ability to stay calm under challenging circumstances.
• Juris Doctorate or equivalent degree. Admitted to a Canadian bar.
• Exceptional writing skills, with attention to detail and ability to generate creative original drafted documents.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills and ability to work both in teams and independently.
• Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, with effective resolution of conflicting priorities.
• Fluency in French an asset.
• Prior product legal experience or product development recommended but not required.
• Last, but not least, a good sense of humour.
Juris Doctorate or Equivalent (Required)